Vishwa Shanti Stupa
Gandhi Gyan Mandir
Hue En Sang Dhamma Camp Centre and Stupa
Lord Ganesha Temple, Kelzer
Welcome to Wardha,
Wardha is a district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Wardha gets its name from the Wardha River which flows at the North, West and South boundaries of district. The town is now an important centre for the cotton trade. Marathi Sahitya Sammelan, the conference on Marathi Literature were held once in Wardha city.
This is also known as Gandhi's Wardha district. Many revolutions were carried out by Gandhi here. The Prayer of Sewagram, march of Paunar and the Ashti's Revolutinary freedom is nothing but the soul of Wardha District.
The famous tourist places are Gandhi Gram Mandir, Bapu Kuti, Bor dam, Laxmi Narayan Mandir etc.
This place has great historical worth. It is the residence of the late Shri Jamnalal Bajaj who played host to all the national leaders during the freedom struggle, more specifically, at the time of the Congress Working Committee meetings at Wardha.
In the Guest House attached to Bajajwadi, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Sarojini Naidu, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan, Subhash Chandra Bose used to stay during their visits to Wardha for meeting Gandhiji. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru generally stayed in the main Bajajwadi bungalow during the pre-Independence period.Magan Sangrahalaya Lunches and dinners were arranged in the open space behind the main building. All the national leaders used to take food in the Indian style, sitting on the floor.
The Bor dam has been constructed over the Bor river in Bori village. The premises of the Dam have a beautiful garden and there is a reserve forest here which is being developed as a tourist place. Flora and fauna abound in this place making for a rather picturesque sight.
This forest village is situated on the hills of the Satpura mountain range near the Dham River. Near about 3 kms away from this place, a temple of Lord Shiva is surrounded by caves. A huge fair is arranged here on the festival of Mahashivaratri. It is a much frequented tourist place in Wardha district.
It is a public library opposite to Bajajwadi. Various books written by Mahatma Gandhi and books written on him are available here. In addition to this, the library houses a valuable collection of Literature, Economics, Politics, Social Sciences and other subjects. The foundation stone of the Gyan Mandir was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad in 1950, and it was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1954.
Girad is 59Kms away from Wardha and it is in Samudrapur Tahasil. Found here is the tomb of Shaikh Farid Baba, a famous saint of the Muslims. Located on the bank of a lake close to the saint`s tomb is a temple of Lord Rama. On the occasion of Ramnavami, a huge festival is held here. Communal harmony can be seen at its peak here when the ten day festival of Muharram is celebrated here.
This is the mandir where Vinoba`s Gitai became eternal. Vinoba Bhave translated the Bhagavad Gita in his book `Gitai`. In order to do this, a number of polished stones were brought from different places and arranged vertically in the shape of a cow. The 18 Shlokas (sections) of the Gita are engraved on it. This temple is quite unlike other commonly seen temples. It has no ceiling or walls. Beside the mandir, a permanent exhibition is arranged in Shanti Kuti in memory of Mahatma Gandhi and Jamnalal Bajaj.
In the premises of the Dam across the Bor river, this Dhamma camp centre and Stupa is established near Bor water storage in Selu Tahasil on a hilly area. Taiwan and England have helped in the construction of this Dhamma. A camp is held here every year which is visited by many visitors from home and abroad. The architecture of the Stupa has been rather remarkably done, and the many statutes of Lord Buddha can be seen here in various expressions.
This village is situated on the bank of the Wardha River in the Hinganghat Tahasil about 34 Kms away from Wardha. Saint Nanaji Maharaj had built a beautiful temple of Laxmi Narayan in year 1890. The sculpture of the god is made from black stones which are 91 cms in height.
Kelzer Temple, also known as the Varad Vinayaka Temple, is dedicated to Lord Ganesha. It is believed that the idol of Lord Ganesha was discovered during the period of Arya. A stepped well is situated near the temple which is believed to have been built by Bhima, one of the Pandavas. It was constructed during the reign of the Vakataka dynasty between 250 AD and 500 AD.
It is in Deoli Tehsil, 40 Kms away from Wardha. It is believed that rishi Vashishta had arranged a Koti yadnya here. This place is on the north bank of the river Wardha on which there is a `Hemadpanthi` temple of Lord Shiva. This place is a rather important pilgrimage spot for the tourists, much like Kashi.
This is a temple of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi. It is big temple built in the year 1905. The inner side of the temple is constructed with marble. Near the temple a medical shop has opened which provide free medicine to the poor people. A number of books of the Sansrit, Prakrit, and Vedas, Upanishads etc in the Hindi language are available in the temple library.
There is a Varad Vinayak`s (Lord Ganesha) temple at Kelzer which is also known as one of the Ganesh temples from Ashtavinayaka in the Vidarbha region. The sculpture of Lord Ganesha found here belongs to the ancient period of the Aryas.
This museum is located in the centre of Wardha city. It was inaugurated on 30th December 1938 by Mahatma Gandhi. It has been developed by the well known expert of Gandhian economic system, Dr. J.C. Kumarappa and Aaryanayakam whose extensive efforts brought forward the village industries and village development concept.
This is a holy place of the Goddesses Mahakali situated in Arvi Tahasil 35 kms from Wardha city. The Mahakali Dam has been developed on the river Dham. The temple is built along the bottom side of the dam.
Mandgaon in Samudrapur Tahasil is 31 kms away from the North-East side of Wardha. It is situated at the confluence of three rivers, namely the Vena, Wardha and Yashoda river. It is believed that the name Mandgaon has come from Sant Mando who had stayed here for a long time. The places of worship that can be visited here are the temple of Murlidhar, the tomb of a Muslim sage, and the holy place of Sant Brahmapure. The villagers celebrate the festivals of Ekadashi, Gokul Ashtami, Ramnavami etc.
Paramdham Ashram was established by Acharya Vinoba Bhave in the year 1934 on the bank of river Dham in Paunar village five miles way from Wardha. Vinobaji longed for self-realization and left home in search of Brahma . Further he thought, Gandhiji s Ashram would show the light he aspired for and so joined it. After an inner call, he left Paunar and initiated unending march for Gramdan and Bhoodan (Donation of land for landless peoples). The idea of Brahma Vidya was crystallized in 1958 during his morning walks with his associates. Vinobaji recognized that the real freedom can come to a group mind, working through the group. However, Bharat Chhodo (Quit India) movement is also continued from this ashram with his leadership.
This place is situated on the bank of the Vena River in Hinganghat Taluka and it is 28 kms away from Wardha. A huge fair is held at the old temple of Lord Murlidhar in memory of Sant Nagaji Maharaj.
Pohana is on the bank of the Wardha River in Hinganghat. It has been said that Prithvi Sen, the son of Rudrasen and grandson of Pravarsen had settled here at Pohana. An old temple of Rudrasen can still be found here. It is belived that Prithvisen had built this temple in memory of his father.
Pothra Dam in is 65 kms away from Wardha. The premises of the dam is very beautiful and full of natural beauty. The water reservoir is level with the land. Various types of birds can be seen here.
Mahatma Gandhi came to Wardha in the year 1934. On being requested by the late Jamnalalji Bajaj, he selected the Segaon village for his Ashram or Kuti. Later, this village was renamed as Sewagram. Mahatma Gandhi continued his freedom movement from this ashram. A number of articles used by the Mahatma are kept here. A permanent photo exhibition of Mahatma Gandhi is also maintained near the ashram. Many of the original historical places within the ashram have been maintained in their original form. These include the Adi Niwas, Ba Kuti (Shelter of Kasturba Gandhi), Akhri Niwas, Mahadeo Kuti, Kishor Kuti among others. A guest house has been set up beside the ashram by the Tourism and Development Department of the Government of India, for the visitors who wish to stay here.
Sonegaon is 7 Kms away from Dahegaon on the Nagpur-Mumbai railway line. Some interesting places of visit can be seen here at Sonegaon. Here one can find the articles of old houses, temples of Lord Krishna, Laxmi-Narayana, monument of Abaji Maharaj in memory of which huge fair is held on Ashadhi and Kartiki Ekadashi.
In 1935, Fuji Guruji from Japan came to Wardha and met Mahatma Gandhi. He expressed his desire to set up the Stupas in India. Gandhiji agreed to this, and subsequently the Shanti Stupas were built at eight different places in India. One of these stupas is found at Wardha, and is called the Vishwa Shanti Stupa. It was constructed with the help of Japan in the year 1995. On the stupa, details of the life and history of Lord Buddha are given.
- AT Sewagram : Ashram Huts, Parchure Kuti, Mahadev Kuti, Kishore Kuti etc.