Lakshmi Vilas Palace
Ajwa Nimeta Dam and Garden
Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park
Welcome to Vadodara,
Vadodara is the third most-populated city in the Indian state of Gujarat after Ahmedabad and Surat. Vadodara or Baroda, is situated on the banks of the Vishwamitri, a river whose name derived from the great saint Rishi Vishwamitra.
Vadodara is famous for its palaces, parks, temples and museums. Vadodara is number one industrial city of Gujarat. Vadodara is also called as 'Sanskari Nagari(city of tradition)' for its rich culture traditions. Vadodara is one of india's most cosmopolition cities. Lakshmi Vilas Palace, Maharaja Fatehsingh Museum, Nazarbaugh Palace, Pratap Vilas Palace, Vadodara Museum and Gallery etc are the famous places.
It is an earthen dam that was built early 20th century by the then ruler of Vadodara, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III. Its main aim was to provide water to the residents of Vadodara. Although the population of Baroda at that time was 100,000 it was the ruler's vision to build the reservoir 3 times larger. This reservoir has the ability to attend to the water requirements of about 300,000 people residing in the eastern parts of the city.
Adjacent to the dam are the famous Ajwa gardens also called as Vrindavan Garden, which are an adaptation of the famous Vrindavan gardens located in Mysore. It is very famous especially in the evenings for its coloured fountains and a musical fountain.
Now known as Akota, this site began as a small settlement among Akola trees, a kilometer west of where would later lie Vadodara. Towards the 5th century AD it was known as a center of Jainism and Jain studies. The 68 bronze statues of tirthankars recovered from the site so far are now housed in the Vadodara Museum and they provide an insight into metallic art at the time.
Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site which is located in Panchmahal district in Gujarat, India. It was inscribed in 2004. There is a concentration of largely unexcavated archaeological, historic and living cultural heritage properties cradled in an impressive landscape which includes prehistoric (chalcolithic) sites, a hill fortress of an early Hindu capital, and remains of the 16th century capital of the state of Gujarat.
The site also includes, among other vestiges, fortifications, palaces, religious buildings, residential precincts, agricultural structures and water installations, from the 8th to the 14th centuries. The Kalikamata Temple on top of the Pavagadh Hill is considered to be an important shrine, attracting large numbers of pilgrims throughout the year.
The site is the only complete and unchanged Islamic pre-Mughal city. The city has been given a lot of attention by architect Karan Grover, who spent much time and effort in both trying to bring to restore and improve the condition of the city, but also help in the restoration of Indian heritage.
Towards the border with Rajasthan, Chhota Udepur shares a history with Devgadh Baria and Rajpipla as one of the three princely states of eastern Gujarat. The small town sits on the edge of a big lake, with a series of temples along the skyline. The Jain temple is an interesting example of the influence of Victorian art on local building styles. Structures from the 1920s such as the Kusum Vilas Palace(also a heritage hotel) and Prem Bhavan are also worth visiting, though they need permission from the local royal family.
The fort of Dabhoi is one of the rare surviving examples of Hindu military architecture, based on the shastri traditions described in various Vaastu scriptures.The architectural style and the exquisite stone carving and iconography on the fort walls and gates suggests that it was conceived and constructed in the same period as Rudra Mahalaya and Zinzuwada Fort. It is mentioned as an important city in the Jain inscriptions of Girnar
It is a major Jain pilgrimage place. There are 6 temples. Shri Lodhan Parshvanath temple is main attraction. Dabhoi is also known for great philanthropist Shree indubhai sheth,He was one of the great son of dabhoi,he was involved in lot of charity work
Considered as one of the most famous museums of the country it was built in 1894. The picture gallery which offers an excellent collection of originals by famous British painters Turner and constable and many others attract tourists from every part of the country. The Egyptian mummy and skeleton of a blue whale are major attractions for those who visit the museum.Other treasure includes the famous Akota bronzes dating the 5th Century A.D., A collection of Mughal miniatures, a full fledged gallory of Tibetan Art and oils by several European masters.
The Indian army does not usually have separate places of worship for the different faiths, but this temple, built by the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (EME) corps entirely out of aluminum sheets, worships Dakshinamurti, another name for Shiva as an ultimate teacher. This uncommonly modern-looking temple is, however, built with holy symbols from various religions. It is open from 6:30am-8:30pm. Photography is prohibited.
Seven rock-cut caves and monolithic lion pillars are present at Kadia Dungar, near Bharuch. The caves suggest that they were viharas. A Brick stupa was also found in the foothills. These caves were in use during 1st and 2nd century AD.
Kayavarohan is a village located in Vadodara. Kayavarohan is one of the sixty-eight 'teerthas' (Pilgrimage) of Lord Shiva as mentioned in the Shiva Purana. It is of great significance to the Pasupatas (Followers of the Pashupati doctrine). There is a huge ocassion on Maha Shiv Ratri Festival.
Khanderao Market is a palatial building located in the city of Vadodara, Gujarat State, western India.
It was erected by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in 1906. It was presented by him as a gift to the Municipality to mark the Silver Jubilee of his administration. The offices of the Vadodara Municipal Corporation are located in this building. Fresh Vegetable and Flower market is also located in the back garden.
"Kirti Mandir, Vadodara", or Temple of Fame, is the cenotaph of the Gaekwads, located in the city of Vadodara.
It was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III to perpetuate the glorious memory of his beloved ancestors. The sun, the moon and the earth in bronze with the undivided map of India adorn the shikhar of Kirti Mandir. Kirti Mandir was built in 1936 as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III.
The Lakshmi Vilas Palace, an extravagant building of the Indo-Saracenic school, was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in 1890 at a cost of GBP180,000. Major Charles Mant was the architect.
It is reputed to have been the largest private dwelling built in the nineteenth century and four times the size of Buckingham Palace. At the time of construction it boasted the most modern amenities such as elevators and the interior is reminiscent of a large European country house. It remains the residence of the Royal Family, who continue to be held in high esteem by the residents of Baroda.
Its ornate Darbar Hall, which is sometimes the venue of music concerts and other cultural events, has a Venetian mosaic floor, Belgium stained glass windows and walls with intricate mosaic decorations.In the 1930s Maharaja Pratapsinh created a golf course for use by his European guests. Palace also boasts of a zoo and a museum.
Built as the western gateway to the old city in 1558, Lehripura Gate is an impressive structure with beautiful arches.
A large number of works of art belonging to the Royal family are displayed in the museum.The major works of art in this museum are the paintings by European and Indian artists including a collection of the paintings of Raja Ravi Varma, who was specially commissioned by the then Maharaja of Baroda. The collection includes portraits of the Royal family in addition to the paintings based on Hindu mythology for which Raja Ravi Varma was famous.
There is a collection of sculptures in marble and bronze. These include copies of great masters in bronze commissioned by the Maharaja and also originals by renowned artists. One of the artists commissioned by the Maharaja was an Italian artist Fellicci whose works adorn not only the Museum but also the Lakshmi Vilas Palace.
The museum has an oriental gallery which houses Japanese and Chinese sculptures and other works collected by the Maharaja on his visits to these countries.
The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, named after Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the former ruler of Baroda, is one of the premier universities of India located in the city of Vadodara, (Baroda) in Gujarat state. It is popularly known as M.S.University (MSU). Originally known as the Baroda College of Science (established 1881).
It became a university in 1949 after the independence of the country. It is both a teaching and residential university in the sense that it offers all its courses under a single roof. It is the only university in Gujarat whose medium of instruction is English for all its courses.
This is the city's town hall and was constructed in 1954. It is used for various cultural functions.
Makarpura Palace was Gaekwad royal palace in the city of Vadodara, Gujarat state, India. It was built by Maharaja Khende Rao in 1870, designed in the Italian style. It was extended and renovated by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III. The palace is now used as a training school by the Indian Air Force.
This imposing structure was built during the Mughal period and was restored in 1736 A.D. by the Governor, Malharoa Maloji under the orders of Damaji Roa II (1732-1768 A.D.).
Constructed in the memory of Kutub-ud-din the general of Akbar's army, it is the only existing Mughal monument of the city. There is also a step well in its vicinity.
"Nazarbaug Palace" was Gaekwad Royal Palace in the city of Vadodara, Gujarat state, western India. Nazarbagh Palace was build in 1721. It has solid gold and silver guns, each barrel weighing over 100kg. It also has a Sheesh Mahal, a Glass Palace.
Built in old classical style, the palace was used on ceremonial occasions by the Gaekwads. The royal family heirlooms are on display.
The Nyaya Mandir, temple of justice, is a unique piece of Byzantine architecture. It houses the District Court of Baroda.
The railway staff college was founded in 1930 at Prem Nagar, Dehradun District, and then shifted to its present regal sylvan surroundings at Vadodara, in 1952. It is housed in the Pratap Vilas Palace (built in 1914 AD) surrounded by lush green lawns and designed by C.F. Stevens in the renaissance style.
The property comprising of 55 acres (220,000 m2) of garden and wooded land, enlivened by the calls of peacocks and migratory birds, was purchased from the Gaikwads (erstwhile rulers) of Vadodara.
Sankheda in Vadodara, India is known for its lacquer works. The work is done on country wood, which being brown gives darker shades.It is world famous for its handicraft furniture. The furniture made from Teak wood. The furniture made here is exported all over the world.
Development of this town comes from huge contribution by Dr.Jethalal K Parikh,who worked really hard to give good education and employment to local community.There are schools and hospital named under his wife.Local community to appreciate his efforts for development of town, they named a road after his name and has his statue at entrance of town.
Sayaji Baug (the famous park) is situated on river Vishwamitri and was built by Sayajirao III in 1879. Sprawling over 113 acres, it also includes an excellent zoo, the Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery, the Museum of Health and Hygiene and the Sardar Patel Planetarium.A major attraction for children is the 3.5 kms joy ride through the park on the toy train.
The planetarium shows you the universe in half an hour, at 4pm in Gujarati, 5pm in English, and 6pm in Hindi.After the show take a look at the astronomy park next door to see the astronomical instruments of ancient India.
The Sayaji Sarovar or Ajwa lake, 22 kms away from the city is the principal source of water. It is formed by damming the Surya river and Vaghali Nala. Work on the scheme was started in 1885 and was completed in 1890. The gardens at Ajwa are patterned after the famous Brindavan Gardens of Mysore. The illumination of fountains is a major attraction for tourists.
Sri Aurobindo Ashram is located at Dandia Bazar in the city of Vadodara, Gujarat, western India. Relics of Shri Aurobindo are present here. It is open to all for meditation. It houses a library, study room and sales emporium.
Aurobindo Ghosh lived in this bunglow during his stay in Baroda (1894- 1906)as private secretary to HH Sayajirao Gaekwad III, Maharaja of Baroda and then Professor of English and vice-principal of Baroda College (now MSU). During that period few famous people visited this bunglow- like Lokmanya Tilak, Bipin Chandra Pal, Sister Nivedita, Sakharam Ganesh Dueskar and some marathi yogi saints.
This restored artificial lake is large and always full, which makes it a great place to hang out, as well as for boating. It also receives the majority of Ganesh idols during Ganesh Chaturthi.
Tambekar Wada, a 4-storey haveli, the residence of the Diwan of Vadodara acquired by the Archeological Survey of India, is famous for its wall paintings from the 19th century Maratha tradition depicting scenes from the Mahabharata, Lord Krishna's life and from the Anglo-Maratha war.
This irrigation reservoir and wetland located 10 kms from Dabhoi and 20 kms from the Jambughoda village, is the water source for 25 nearby villages, and a popular birdwatching site for species including stork, tern, ibis, and spoonbill. To get here you will have to rent a vehicle from Dabhoi, taking the Nanderi Gate road.
Apart from being a wetland, it also has an eco tourism campsite. The best time to visit the wetland is from October to March cause that is the main migratory seasons for birds which migrate here from all over the world.
The famous museum was built in 1894 on the lines of Victoria and Albert and Science Museums of London. Major Mant in association with R.F. Chisholm who refined some of Mant's finest works to make genuine Indo-Sarcenic architecture designed the Building of this Museum
It preserves a rich collection of art, sculpture, ethnography and ethnology. Several of the paintings are not only original but masterpieces at the picture gallery. The picture gallery which offers an excellent collection of originals by famous British painters Turner and constable and many others attract tourists from every part of the country. The Egyptian mummy and skeleton of a blue whale are major attractions for those who visit the museum.
Other treasure includes the famous Akota bronzes dating the 5th Century AD, A collection of Mughal miniatures, a full fledged gallery of Tibetan Art and oils by several European masters.
The Vishwamitri river is a seasonal river which flows east to west between the Mahi and Narmada rivers in Gujarat, India. It originates in the hills of Pavagadh.
A study conducted in 2002 by the Crocodile Specialist Group has shown that in spite of these pollutants, the 25 kilometre stretch of the river which passes through Vadodara is the home to 100 mugger crocodiles.
- Sardar Baug, Jubilee Baug, Lal Baug, Kirti Stambh, Chandod, Galteshwar, Nareshwar, Sankheda, Kabirwad, Juni Kothi, Kala Bhavan, Motibaug Palace, Vadodara Central Library, ABS Tower Art Gallery, Sindhrot Nature Park etc.