Bharatiya Lok Kala Mandal (Udaipur Folk Museum)
Fateh Sagar Lake
Maharana Pratap Memorial (Moti Magri)
Nathdwara Shri Nath Ji Temple
Nehru Garden, Fateh Sagar Lake
Welcome to Udaipur,
The "City of Lakes", the "Venice of the East", - Udaipur is known by several names. The Lake Palace, for instance, covers an entire island in the Pichola Lake. Many of the palaces have been converted into luxury hotels. This famous tourist hot spot was instituted by Maharana Udai Sigh, the Second in year 1568. It is also known as the "Kashmir of Rajasthan".
Ranakpur, situated in the vicinity of the Aravali hills, is a sacred site for the Mahavira devotees, houses a marvelous Jain shrine. Udaipur is regarded as one of the most romantic cities of the World
Lake Palace of Udaipur has been accredited for being one of the most romantic places all across the globe. The beautiful temples create a sense of aestheticism with their spiritual ecstasy. Udaipur also boasts of various museums, palaces, gardens, monuments and colorful festivals that allure tourists to visit the city for once. Udaipur is undoubtedly a dream destination for a romantic holiday. A tour to the city Udaipur would certainly become an unforgettable part of your memories and you will cherish these memories throughout your life.
Located about 2 km east of Udaipur is a cluster of cenotaphs of the Maharanas of Mewar. There are about nineteen cenotaphs of Maharanas cremated there. One cenotaph is that Maharana Amar Singh, who reigned from 1597 to 1620. Nearby is also Ahar Museum, where on display is limited but very rare earthen pottery, as well as some sculptures and other archaeological finds. Some pieces date back to 1700 BC, and a tenth-century metal figure of Buddha is a special attraction.
Longing for a peaceful break during a holiday in India? A chance to wander without another traveller in sight? Too much to hope for, say experienced visitors to the subcontinent. But if you're planning to visit the glittering Rajasthan triangle of Jaipur, Jodphur and Udaipur, here's a side trip to a virtually undiscovered living museum. Less than four hours west of Jaipur is the region of Shekhawati, a scattered group of desert towns built around forts established on the old silk route. The beautiful buildings, preserved in the dry desert air, are covered by frescoes dating from the 17th century to the 1920s.
My room is a round building made of mud and straw with a polished mud floor: no window except a small opening and a stout wooden door. During hot days, it's cool; on colder nights, cosy. Even the little shower room-cum-toilet remains mild at night-but so does the water. However, hot water is available in a bucket (Apani Dhani is not for the fivestar hotel junkie)
The farm provides vegetables, the animals milk, and the methane gas for cooking is produced from animal manure. Water is heated by solar energy. Excellent vegetarian meals, prepared by the family, are served in the separate dining room. The company during my stay proves to be good: French, mostly, but also Belgian and Dutch, all experienced, knowledgeable, independent travellers.
The painted towns of Shekhawati are fascinating, their frescoes depicting everything from the classic Hindu epics to the arrival and amazing lifestyle of the Raj. They cover every square metre of the havelis (mansions of the Mawari merchants), the temples, cenotaphs, small town buildings and even the rims of ancient wells.
Bada Mahal, literally means Big Palace and also known as Garden Palace, is an incredible structural marvel dating back to 17th century and is one of the major attractions in Udaipur. Bada Mahal, the garden palace, is built on a 90 feet high natural rock formation The Mahal is considered as the Men's section of the City Palace, constructed in Rajput-Mughal architectural style, encloses beautiful garden, greenish landscaped lawns, vast courtyards, massive pillars and terraces, royal balconies, attractive fountains and royal apartments. The rooms are exquisitely decorated with all facilities for comforts, painted mirrors, ornate ceilings, attractive carvings on the walls and nice portraits. The palaces in Udaipur, especially Bada Mahal and Dil Kushal, a palace for Royal ladies, are marvelous and attracts many to its fold.
This is a very congenial old building built right on the waterfront of Lake Pichola at Gangori Ghat. Amir Chand Badwa, the Prime Minister of Mewar built it in the eighteenth century. The palace has over hundred rooms and some very interesting display of costumes and modern art. The glass and mirror in the interiors of the Haveli delicate work and well preserved too. It also preserves a fine example of Mewar Painting on the walls of Queen's Chamber. The two peacocks made from small pieces of colored glasses are fine examples of glasswork.
After the death Badwa the building became the property of Mewar State. It came to be occupied by Maharana Shakti Singh of Bagore who built the palace of the three arches also in 1878 and it acquired its name of Bagore-ki-haveli, the house of Bagore. After independence the structure lay in neglect until 1986 when it housed the West Zone Cultural centre.
The haveli now stages delightful evening's entertainment; the pleasurable performance of Rajasthani traditional dance and music in the moody surroundings of the haveli. It is an ideal place for an evening entertainment while enjoying the view of Lake Pichola.
Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal (Udaipur Folk Museum) is one of the most famous museums of Udaipur, exhibiting the brilliant collection of folk articles of Rajasthan. This rare compilation varies from typical rural-dresses, ornaments, puppets, masks, dolls, folk musical instruments, folk deities and paintings. The museum is comfortably located in the building of Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal near Chetak Circle in Udaipur city.
As one enters the gateway of the museum, there is a hall displaying the theater objects. In the neighboring hall, you will trace a remarkable collection of tribal folk musical instruments and ornaments. Following this hall, you would reach to a puppet theater. You can actually watch a puppet show that occurs at regular intervals. On the opposite side of this theater, there are designs of henna handprints, decorated cow dung floors and terra-cotta devras (small shrines) that come from the village of Molela near Nathdwara.
The museum portrays the remarkable collection of over past 44 years, gathered by the Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal. To provide a summarized idea of the folk heritage of India, traditional attires, ornaments, miniature paintings and many other art objects are displayed here. Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal of Udaipur definitely requires a visit to closely observe the artistic and culturally rich region of Rajasthan.
"This temple fulfills all the wishes". It is situated near old railway station (Thokar) and M L S University. This is old and famous Ganesh Temple with standing statue of Shree Ganesh Ji considered very fruitful (Chamatkarik).Thousands of Bhaktas come here every Wednesday.
This temple is taken care by a family from their generations and the statue of god has its own asthetic importance.
Standing on the east bank of Lake Pichola is a massive series of palaces built at different times from 1559. The balconies of the palace provide panoramic views of the "Jag Niwas" (the Lake Palace Hotel). They also have great views of Jag Mandir on one side and the city of Udaipur on the other. Its main entrance is through the triple-arched gate - the Tripolia, built in 1725.
The Bari Pol or the Big gate brings you to the Tripolia, the Triple gate. It was once a custom that the Maharana would weigh under this gate in gold and silver, which was distributed to the populace. It is also now the main ticket office. Balconies, cupolas and towers surmount the palace to give a wonderful view of the lake.The Mor Chawk is the peacock square and gains its name from the vivid blue mosaic in glass of a peacock that decorates its walls.
The main part of the palace is now preserved as a museum displaying a large and diverse array of artefacts. Down steps from the entrance is the armoury museum exhibiting a huge collection of protective gear, weapons including the lethal two-pronged sword. The City Palace museum is then entered through the Ganesh Deori meaning the door of Lord Ganesh.
This leads to the Rajya Angan, the royal courtyard that is the very spot where Maharana Udai Singh met the sage who told him to find a city here. The rooms of the palace are superbly decorated with mirror tiles and paintings. Manak Mahal or the Ruby Palace has a lovely collection of glass and mirror work while Krishna Vilas display a rich collection of miniature paintings.
Moti Mahal or the pearl palace has beautiful mirror work and the Chini Mahal has ornamental tiles all over. The Surya Chopar or the sun square depicts a huge ornamental sun symbolising the sun dynasty to which the Mewar dynasty belongs. The Bari Mahal is a central garden with view of the city. Some more beautiful paintings can be seen in the Zenana Mahal or the ladies chamber, which leads to Lakshmi Chowk a beautiful white pavilion.
There are numerous other palaces such as Dilkhush mahal, Sheesh mahal, Moti mahal and Krishna vilas - in memory of a princess of striking beauty who poisoned herself to avert a bloody battle for her hand by rival princes. Now the palace contains many antique articles, paintings, decorative furniture and utensils and attracts thousands of visitors every day.
Pratap Museum, While entering the City palace the straight way go to the Government Pratap Museum housed with old sculptures and inscriptions. The antique paintings of Mewar, the turban of prince Khurram later on called Shah Jahan, who built the world famous Taj Mahal has also been displayed here as a token of friendship of Maharana Khazan Singh. Next to Fateh Prakash Palace, houses glass and mirror works.
The main part of the palace is now preserved as a museum displaying a large and diverse array of artefacts. Down steps from the entrance is the armoury museum exhibiting a huge collection of protective gear, weapons including the lethal two-pronged sword.
The City Palace museum is then entered through the Ganesh Deori meaning the door of Lord Ganesh. This leads to the Rajya Angan, the royal courtyard that is the very spot where Maharana Udai Singh met the sage who told him to find a city here. The rooms of the palace are superbly decorated with mirror tiles and paintings.
Manak Mahal or the Ruby Palace has a lovely collection of glass and mirror work while Krishna Vilas display a rich collection of miniature paintings. Moti Mahal or the pearl palace has beautiful mirror work and the Chini Mahal has ornamental tiles all over.
The Surya Chopar or the sun square depicts a huge ornamental sun symbolising the sun dynasty to which the Mewar dynasty belongs. The Bari Mahal is a central garden with view of the city. Some more beautiful paintings can be seen in the Zenana Mahal or the ladies chamber, which leads to Lakshmi Chowk a beautiful white pavilion.
Crystal Gallery, located in Fateh Prakash Palace in the heart of Udaipur, is established by by Maharana Sajjan Singhji of erstwhile Rajput Kingdom. Crystal Gallery displays some of the beautiful precious crystal items brought from various parts of the world. The Crystal Gallery was opened to public only in 1994. It also showcases fountains, dresses, dining table, mirrored table tops, washing bowls, sofa set, a crystal bed and imposing jewel encrusted carpet. Crystal Gallery is a unique place and it is worth for a visit.
A rock and fountain garden and the sunset point from which one can enjoy the sunset view in Lake Pichhola and a panoramic view of the old city. Also one can enjoy the Aerial tramway (rope way) which connects one of the dudh talai gardens to Karni Mata temple.
Eklingji Temple is one of the most famous temples of Rajasthan. Located in the town of Eklingji (Kailashpuri), the place got its popular name from the temple. Eklingji Temple is positioned at a distance of 22 km in the north of Udaipur, on the national highway no. 8. Eklingnath Temple is dedicated to the Lord Shiva of the Hindu religion. Initially, the temple was built in 734 A.D. by Bappa Rawal. Since that time, Eklingji has been the ruling deity of Mewar rulers. In the later years, it was repaired and modified by various Kings, to clean the remnants of obliteration made by the attacks of Mohammedans.
The magnificent architecture of Eklingnath Temple is simply remarkable. The double-storied temple looks awesome with its pyramidal style of roof and distinctly carved tower. The outer walls of the temple are stretched with steps that descend touching the serene waters. Inside the complex, the main temple is a huge pillared hall or 'mandap' that is sheltered by hefty pyramidal roof. On entering this hall, you will be welcomed by a silver image of Nandi. In the temple, there are two other images of Nandi carved in black stone and brass respectively. You would find this temple full of mesmerizing fragrance.
The temple boasts of a striking four-faced idol of Eklingji (Lord Shiva) that is made out of black marble. Its height ranges around 50 feet and its four faces depict four forms of Lord Shiva. The east-facing part is recognized as Surya, the west-facing part is Lord Brahma, the north-facing part is Lord Vishnu and the south-facing part is Rudra i.e. Lord Shiva himself. The zenith of the multifaceted idol is known as 'Yantra that stands for the ultimate reality. The Shivlinga (Phallic form of Lord Shiva) garlanded by a silver snake, acquires the major attraction of people.
It's like being cocooned in authentic royal luxury at the Fateh Prakash Palace, the grand heritage palace of the HRH group. The warmth of royal hospitality greets you as you walk along the corridors lined with large paintings of the Mewar school that flourished in the seventeenth through nineteenth century.
Advertise Here The lake facing suites in the turrets are suitably appointed with four poster beds and period furniture, festooned with maroon velvet curtains and delicate silk tassels. It's a legacy kept alive since the early decades of the twentieth century when Maharana Fateh Singh (period of reign : 1884 - 1935) used to be the royal occupant of this palace. Till date the formality of royal occasions are maintained.
Fateh Sagar Lake is situated in the north of Lake Picholas. It was originally built by Maharana Jai Singh in the year 1678 AD.It is an artificial lake dug up in 1678, reconstructed by Maharana Fateh Singh. A canal links the two, via Swaroop Sagar and Rang Sagar Lakes. The beautiful Nehru Island as well as an islet bearing a solar observatory rises from the lake.
lthough primarily constructed for irrigational purpose, this water body has lately formed a second major source of drinking water for the city of Udaipur. The main feeder canal of the lake comes from Madar tank situated at a higher altitude about 15 km from Udaipur City. Lake Fateh Sagar is also connected to the adjoining Lake Pichhola through a canal having gates. This (former) lake has somewhat pear-like shape and is surrounded by hills except on its eastern side where a straight masonry dam of about 800 m length is located. The lake lies on the northwest of main Udaipur city.
Is a small town famous for its castle now converted into a hotel. The castle's highlight in the pavilion in the central court, where the musicians would perform. Also near the castle are the cenotaphs of former rulers. Mahavir Temple, a Jain Temple is also one of the highlights of the town.
A rose garden laid out by Maharaja Sajjan Singh is situated near the palace on the east side of Lake Pichhola. A library in the garden has a collection of ancient handwritten manuscripts and books. Some of the part of the Satyarth Prakash have been written in this library. Styarth Prakash stup is situated in Gulab Bagh. Within the garden, there is a zoo with tigers, leopards, Chinkara gazelle, birds, and many wild animals. Children can enjoy mini train, track of which covers the main part of the garden and the zoo.
Ambika Mata Temple is a small shrine made in crevice of a rock. The temple dedicated to Goddess Ambika (a form of Goddess Durga). Being located at the village called Jagat in Rajasthan, the temple is also known as Jagat Temple. The shrine is comfortably positioned at a distance of 58kms in the south-east of Udaipur. Built in 961 A.D, the Jagat Temple is renowned for its intricate carvings in the exteriors.
The village Jagat is popular with the term of 'Khajuraho of Rajasthan' and the place is particularly famous for its well-preserved temple of the 10th century. Though Ambika Mata Temple is not very big, but its splendid architecture makes it different from others. The main shrine has an image of Ambika, a form of the Hindi Goddess Durga. The goddess is worshipped as Shakti (Power) that is a primitive source of energy. Goddess Ambika is linked with Maa Durga due to the presence of Lion as her mount.
The fa?ade of the Temple has ornamented allegorical panels set in alcoves that depict scenes from the mythological stories. These alcoves contain various forms of Durga with her attendant maidens in aesthetic postures. It is remarkable to find that these sculptures are under the protection of numerous miniature eaves. The outstanding structure of the temple gives the impression of heavenly chamber of the Almighty and is definitely worth a visit.
The Jagdish Temple is a large Hindu temple in the middle of Udaipur. A big tourist attraction, the temple was originally called the temple of Jagannath Rai, but is now called Jagdish-ji. It is a major monument in Udaipur. The Jagdish Temple is raised on a tall terrace and was completed in 1651. It attaches a double storeyed Mandapa (hall) to a double - storied, saandhara (that having a covered ambulatory) sanctum.
The mandapa has another storey tucked within its pyramidal samavarna (bell - roof) while the hollow clustered spire over the sanctum contains two more, non - functional stories. Lanes taking off from many of the sheharpanah (city wall) converge on the Jagdish Temple. It was built by Maharana Jagat Singh Ist in 1651 A.D. It is an example of Indo - Aryan architecture.
This is the other island palace in Lake Pichola, which was constructed by Maharana Karan Singh as a hideout for Prince Khurram the estranged son of Emperor Jehangir the implacable foe of the Maharana. The reason for the aid was that the prince was the son of a Rajput mother. It is also said that Shah Jahan [prince Khurram] derived some of these ideas for the Taj Mahal from this palace when he stayed there in 1623-24. The island has some striking carving including a row of elephants that looks as though they are guarding the island. The exquisitely carved chhatri in grey and blue stone is another example.
Maharana Jagat Singh who made a number of additions to it later renovated the place. Within the palace was the temple dedicated to the Lord Jagdish and hence the name is derived from that. There is a museum detailing the history of the island as well and the neat courtyards.
Jaisamand Lake is renowned for being the second largest artificial lake in Asia. Located at a distance of 48 kms from the city of Udaipur, Jaisamand Lake is also known as Dhebar. In 1685, Maharana Jai Singh built this lake while making a dam on the Gomti River. This lake covers an area of 36sq km, stretches to the length of 14 km and width of 9 km. The lake is deep to the maximum of 102 feet and has a circumference of 30 miles.
The dam on this lake is worth mentioning due to its massive size. It is 1202 feet in length, 116 feet in height and width of 70 feet at the bottom. The kings of Mewar were religious by nature and this is conformed by the fact that this dam has a Shiva temple. Centrally located, this temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
The lake also boasts of six interesting cenotaphs carved from marble on its embankment. On the northern shore of the lake, there is a stunning palace with a courtyard and on its southern shore; there is a pavilion of 12 pillars. From the courtyard of the palace, you can see the dazzling view of Jaisamand Lake.
In total, this lake comprises seven islands and one of the islands is still inhabited by the tribe of Bhil Minas. Out of all, the biggest island is known as 'Babaka Bhagra' and the second one is known as 'Piari'. The lake has graceful marble steps descending to the water, you can enjoy boat ride in the calm waters of Jaisamand Lake too. This lake offers a wonderful place to relax and lighten up. Another feature of Jaisamand Lake that makes it a nice place to visit is a sanctuary.
Jaisamand Lake is close to the sanctuary that serves habitat to various types of birds, panthers, leopards, deer, wild boars and crocodiles. Once, these woods used to form the hunting ground of the erstwhile rulers of Mewar. In 1957, Jaisamand Sanctuary was built to cover an area of 62sqkm. This sanctuary hails a large variety of resident and migratory birds and animals. In the present date, it has been converted into a game sanctuary.
The Lake Palace is located on the Jag Niwas Island and covers the whole of 1.5 hectare of the island in the middle of the Pichola Lake. Built by Maharana Jagat Singh in 1743 it was meant as a royal summer palace and now converted in to a five star palace hotel. Advertise Here It is a magical palace and its image in the middle of the lake is like a leaf straight out of a fairy tale book with an excellent taste of intricate craftsmanship and the ethnic themes using the textiles and handicrafts all over highlight the beauty that is simply beyond compare the lake around makes a pleasant murmur with its rippling waves and lapping that adds to the mesmerising moments.
The Lake Palace is one of the most beautiful palaces in the world, arising out of the Turquoise Waters of the Pichola like an elegant fantasy in white marble. The Lake palace was built in the 17th century on a natural foundation of 4 acers of rock. It was initially called Jaginwas after its founder Maharana Jagjit Singh.
The Maharana, ruler of Jaipur from 1628 to 1654, was very friendly with Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and encouraged his craftsmen to copy some of the glories of his incomparable buildings at Agra. The successive rulers used this cool haven as their summer resort, holding their regal durbars in its courtyards.
These courtyards lined with columns, pillared terraces, fountains and gardens all add to its impressive image. The rooms are decorated with cusped arches, inland stones of pink, and green lotus leaves and painted mirrors.
Apartments like the Bada Mahal, Kush Mahal, Ajjan Niwas, Phool Mahal and Dhola Mahal. All enhance the romance of the elegant setting. Among the facilities available are swimming pool, conference hall and a bar. Other events of recreation organised here are excursions in and around and a bar other events of recreation organised here are excursions in and around Udaipur.
Business facilities-Fully equipped 24 hour Business Centre with 8 meeting rooms. Offering Internet connectivity, Sprint Mail, work stations, multimedia computers, laptops, portable printers, cellphones. Colour copier facility and secretarial service. Interpretation/translation facilities on request. Meeting Rooms and Banquet 12 rooms with a capacity ranging from 25 to 500 persons auditorium style or 18 to 2000 persons for cocktails/receptions. State of the art conference facilities.
Laxmi Chowk is considered as the Courtyard of Goddess Lakshmi. This courtyard is constructed for the Royal lady folks and it is the main courtyard of Queen's Palace, the Zanana Mahal. It is a well laid Courtyard with many flowering plants and greenish lawns. Laxmi Chowk is a gateway to other main palaces of city palace; It gives access to Badal mahal and rang Bhawan. This imposing courtyard displays a fine collection of beautiful paintings. Many tourists visit this Zanana Mahal courtyard and the evenings are extremely beautiful.
Atop the Moti Magri or Pearl Hill, overlooking the Fateh Sagar Lake is the memorial of the Rajput hero Maharana Pratap with a bronze statue of the Maharana astride his favourite horse "Chetak". More details are available at Maharanapratap.net, a collection of facts and figures on Maharana Pratap and his life.
Nagda is a small town in the Indian state of Rajasthan. In the 6th century, Nagda was found by Nagaditya, the fourth Mewar King. Initially it was known as Nagahrida and served as the capital of Mewar. Before long, the place came under the province of Sisodias. Nagda is located besides Bagela Lake at a distance of 23 kms in the north-west of Udaipur on the way to Nathdwara. Nagda comprises many small and big temples, but the main attraction is gained by its 'Sas-Bahu' temple.
Nagda is actually famous for this unusual temple that dates back to the 10th century. The term 'Sas-Bahu' suggests 'Mother-in-law and Daughter-in-law' respectively. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and it is made in two structures, one by a mother-in-law and another, by a daughter-in-law. The main entrance to the temples is made through a door that has carved lintels and a multi-lobed arch in its middle. Both the structures are laid out on a same plan having an altar, a mandapa (columned prayer hall) with projections and a porch.
These delicate carvings are acknowledged to be imbibed from the incidents of 'Ramayana' (the Indian epic). The walls of the shrine are usually plain and not engrossed with much work, but the projection is simply mind blowing with its exquisite sculptures. The sculptures are made in two steps, one encircling the other. On the first step, images of Lord Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu are carved and on the other, there are images of Rama, Balarama and Parashurama.
Nathdwara is a small town in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Situated at a distance of 48kms in the north-east of Udaipur, Nathdwara is sited on the right bank of Banas River. Nathdwara is famous for its 17th century temple that is dedicated to Lord Shrinathji (Lord Krishna). The term 'Nathdwara' suggests the 'gate of the lord'. Shrinathji Temple is also known as 'Haveli of Shrinathji' and makes a prominent pilgrimage of the Hindus / Vaishnavas.
The structure of this temple is simple, but the aesthetic appeal of this temple is ceaseless. The image of Shrinathji is worth seeing and feeling the celestial beauty of the God. Lord Shrinathji symbolizes a form of Lord Krishna, when he lifted the 'Govardhana' (a hill). In the image, the lord is revealed with his left hand raised and the right is bunged in a fist. The idol is carved out of a large black stone. Images of two cows, a snake, a lion, two peacocks and a parrot by the god's head are imprinted on the idol.
Nathdwara town is also famous as the Apollo of Mewar. In the town of Nathdwara, Shrinathji temple is the centre of attraction, but the town is also famous for its 'pichhwai' paintings, ivory articles and mouth-watering sweets. You can purchase articles from here as a souvenir of your religious trip to Shrinathji. One must visit this temple to feel the spiritual ecstasy and get the blessings of Lord Shrinathji.
Neemach Mata Temple is located on a hill on the banks of the Fateh Sagar Lake in the city of Udaipur, Rajasthan. This temple is located on a green hill in the Dewali (pronounced Dey-vaa-lee) area of Udaipur. It has both stairs and uphill slope walk way to climb, which is around 900 Meters long. It enshrines the stone idol of Neemach Mata Devi. There is also an idol of Lord Ganesh and three west facing lions of stone. One can have very beautiful view of whole city and it's lakes from the temple as well as while climbing.the wallk is pollution free as no vehicles can enter in the hill boundary.
This is a park situated in the middle of Fateh Sager Lake. This park covers about 41 acres (170,000 m2), with flower gardens and a lily pond. It was inaugurated on the birth anniversary of the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. The garden overlooks the ancient Moti Mahal of Maharana Pratap and gives a view of the Aravalli hills on three sides.
Our Lady of Fatima Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Udaipur, in front of St. Paul's School.
The Sapphire Udaipur : Lake Pichola is a lake that has two islands, Jag Niwas and the Jag Mandir.Pichola Lake derives its name from Pichola Village was submerged and Maharana Udai Singh enlarged the lake after he founded the city. He built a masonry dam known as Badipol. This lake is 4 km long and 3 km wide, originally built by Maharana Udai Singh II. There are many ghats, like the bathing and washing ghats, which can be approached through boats from the City Palace of Udaipur (Bansi Ghat). In the heart of the lake the Lake Palace stands, which is now converted into a heritage palace hotel.
Raj Angan, also known as Gol Mahal, is considered as Annex to the city palace. It is considered as King's Courtyard aptly placed in the direction of Badi Chowk at the entrance to the City Palace. Raj Angan, built by Maharana Udai Singh in 1572, was the Rajya Angan (lawn) where King's proceedings regarding justice was carried out. Raj Angan is blesses with many portraits of erstwhile Mewar rulers. Many memorabilia of Maharana PRATAP SINGH I, paintings, personal weapons of Mewar kings and armours are displayed in one part of this Angan. A portion of this display is dedicated to Chetak, the favorite horse of King Pratap.
Rishabhdeo Temple is an important pilgrimage site for followers of Jain religion. The temple is located on Udaipur-Ahmedabad road, at a distance of 65 kms from the city of Udaipur in Dhulev. Dhulev is a small town that is also known as Rikhabdeo, famous for its Rishabhdeo Temple. The temple traces its origin in the 15th century and is dedicated to Lord Rishabh Dev. Rikhabdeo ji is supposed to be one from the 'Trithankar' of Jain religion. The lord is also referred as Keshariyaji, since pilgrims offer immense quantity of saffron to the lord.
While entering this temple, you will be received by the Elephants that are carved out of black stone. In the north, the image Goddess Chakreshvari adorns the site and in the south, the image of goddess Padmavati fetches the attention. In this temple, the idol of Lord Rishabh Dev captures the major attraction. This 3.5 feet tall idol is carved out of a single piece of black stone. The lord is sitting in 'padmasana' posture and his long hair touches the shoulders. On the platform where the idol is seated, two oxen are carved in the middle. These oxen also represent the 16 dreams of Tirthankar's mother.
This temple has been accredited to witness the long history of Mewar. It has about 65 inscriptions on its walls. The inscription that dates back to 15th century states that the temple was constructed as per the preaching of Bhattaraka Dharmakirti belonging to Kashtha Sangh. At the same time, 'Garbhagriha' and 'Khel Mandapa' were constructed. In 1832, the 'Nakkarkhana' (drum tower) was built. In the later years, the smaller shrines (devakulika) were constructed. Tourists visit this holy place to get blessings from the Lord Rishabhdeoji.
Sahelion ki Bari was laid for a group of forty-eight young women attendants who accompanied a princess to Udaipur as part of her dowry. The gardens set below the embankment of the Fateh Sagar Lake have lotus pools, marble pavilions and elephant-shaped fountains. These fountains are fed by the water of the lake gushing through ducts made for the purpose.
The summer resort of the Maharajas is atop the hill overlooking all the lakes. This palace had a way to collect rain water for consumption all year around.
High on a hilltop just outside Udaipur lies this dramatic 18th century palace, with a breathtaking view of the Mewar countryside Originally intended to be a towering five-story astronomical centre, it was later abandoned and used as a monsoon palace and hunting lodge. It is also known as Monsoon Palace.
It was built by Maharana Sajjan Singh to house and observatory and was planned as a nineteen-storied structure. However the Maharana died prematurely and the plans were curtailed. The now derelict palace dominates the skyline 2468 feet high on top of Bansdara Mountain. It is visible from a great distance and affords splendid scenic views.
In the end of every year, A crafts village located northwest of Udaipur, Shilpgram hosts an annual crafts fair which is one of the biggest in India; people from different states in the country have stalls showcasing their art and crafts work.This fair is
The Rural Arts and Crafts Complex - Shilpgram - would also provide an opportunity to rural and urban artists to come together and interact through the process of camps and workshops. It is hoped that through intimate observation of different styles and experiences, urban and rural artists would learn from one another and enrich their skills and art forms. The Centre promotes contemporary urban ceramists, potters, designers, visual artists etc. to work with their traditional counterparts in creating works of everyday art which would then be put up for exhibition and sale for visitors.
Shilpdarshan is a continuing activity at Shilpgram in which traditional performing artists and craftsmen are used to draw from the interior villages of the member states. They are regularly invited to exhibit their skill and to demonstrate their crafts, and sell their masterpieces in order to have direct access to the buyers. This programme has encouraged the rural craftsmen and performers in a big way. The Shilpgram has become an important landmark in India and Government of India has decided to replicate them in all the Federal States of India.
The Center developed two Museums in the Shilpgram where simple objects of day-to-day use, that represent the sense of wonder and aesthetics in rural and tribal life are put on display. In addition, a Crafts Bazar in the fashion of a traditional 'haat' was made where visitors could buy traditional crafts from the Zone. Craftsman were invited periodically to demonstrate their skills and sell the crafts to the visitors at the Shilpgram.
There are 7 representative huts from the state of Gujarat. A cluster of six huts from Banni area and one from Bhujodi have been selected from the arid wastelands of Kutch. the Banni cluster consists of two huts each of the Rebari, Harijan and Muslim communities famous for their weaving, embroidery, bead and mirrorwork, wood work and rogar work. Equally well known for its valiant horses, Lambdia village near Poshina in North Gujarat is represented with a potter's hut. Adjoining to the Lambdia potter's workshop at the Shilpgram is the weaver's hut from Vasedi village in Chota Udaipur area in western Gujarat. Two huts represent the Dang and Rathwa tribal farmer communities of southern Gujarat. In addition to these, there is an ornately carved wooden house from Pethapur near Gandhinagar.
In order to ensure that a visit to Rural Arts and Crafts Complex - Shilpgram - becomes an educative and enriching experience, the hut from Sam (Marwar) is planned as the Activity and Documentation Section where workshops, seminars etc.can be organised. Similarly the cluster of Banni and Bhujodi huts from Gujarat would comprise of Guest Room facilities for the visiting master craftsmen, researchers and scholars. A Goan mainstream hut and Mewar potters hut can accommodate children and students.
Sukhadia Circle (Square), Udaipur, a large roundabout in the city's northern suburb of Panchwati, on the road to Ranakpur and Mt. Abu. The centrepiece of the Circle is a large, three-tiered fountain just over 21 m. high, with scalloped dishes surmounted by a wheat-ear motif, representing prosperity. Illuminated at night, it is now a well-known landmark.
Its foundation was laid in 1968 and was opened in 1970. The Circle is a popular recreational centre and meeting place. A circular pond surrounds the fountain; nearby are pleasant gardens. Families and friends come together, especially at night, when music plays, and dozens of food, cold drinks and tea stalls do a flourishing trade. Children particularly enjoy the experience: they float toy boats in the central pond, where odd duck-shaped pedallos (paddle boats) vie for space; there is even a mini train nearby.
Sukhadia Circle commemorates the memory of Udaipur's Mohan Lal Sukhadia, one-time Chief Minister of Rajasthan and a native of Udaipur.
Asia's only solar observatory, the Udaipur Solar Observatory, is situated on an island in the middle of the Lake Fatehsagar, and the main office building is located at its NW shore near the Bari Road - Rani Road Junction. The site is run under the PRL (Physical Research Lab) in Ahemdabad. The sky conditions at Udaipur are quite favourable for solar observations.The large body of water surrounding the telescopes decreases the amount of heating of the surface layers, which decreases the turbulence in the air mass and thereby improves the image quality and seeing.
Udai Sagar Lake is another striking lake that falls under the category of five lakes of Udaipur. Udaisagar Lake is located at a distance of about 13 kms in the east of Udaipur. The construction of this lake was started in 1559 by Maharana Udai Singh and got completed in 1565. Udai Sagar Lake extends to 4 km in length 2.5 km in width and deep to the extent of 9 meters at the maximum. Actually, Udai Sagar Lake was the result of a dam that took its start in 1559.
In 1573, Maharana Pratap Singh was invited by Kunwar Man Singh on the banks of Udai Sagar Lake to talk about the surrendering terms and conditions to Akbar (Mughal Emperor). The invitation was declined by Pratap Singh and he even insulted Man Singh. This incident led to the Battle of Haldighati in 1576. Later, Maharana Raj Singh conquered the army of Emperor Aurangzeb near the embankment of Udai Sagar Lake. People visit this lake to enjoy the serene waters of this lake.
The collection within the grounds of the Garden Hotel comprises a variety of classic and interestingly rare transportation vehicles; some stately and vintage like Cadalec, Chevalate, Morais etc., while the others are sleek and fast.
The Maharanas of Udaipur once possessed and used these regal splendours of automobiles as their luxuries but most of the other models are gradually being added to the collection ,since it provides a unique aristocratic safari for the exclusive guests.