Mahatma Gandhi Setu
Takht Sri Patna Sahib
Padri Ki Haveli(Mansion of Padre)
Tomb of Shah Makhadum(Maner Sharif), Maner
Martyr's Memorial (Saheed Smarak)
Welcome to Patna,
Patna is the capital of the Indian state of Bihar. Patna is also one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in the world. Ancient Patna, known as Pataliputra, was the capital of the Magadha Empire. The Buddhist, Hindu and Jain pilgrim centres of Vaishali, Rajgir, Nalanda, Bodhgaya, and Pawapuri are nearby and Patna is also a sacred city for Sikhs. Patna had praise worthy history, tradition and culture. It was ruled by many famous kings from well known dynasties including Maurya Dynasty.
Patna is also an important stopover for the pilgrims since it is home to several holy places such as Hanuman Mandir, Takht Shri Harmandir Saheb and Mahaveer Mandir. The other major attractions of Patna city in Bihar include the Mahatma Gandhi Setu, Patna Planetorium, Golghar, Patna Museum, Zoological and Botanical garden and Padri Ki Haveli etc.
Agam Kuan, which means "unfathomable well", is said to date back to the period of Maurya emperor, Ashoka. The well is located east of Patna, Bihar state, India. Agam Kuan is 105' deep, circular in plan, with a diameter extending over 20'2". The well is brick-encased in the upper half of its depth (down to 44') and thereafter, secured by a series of wooden rings. The surface structure, which now covers the well and forms its most distinctive feature, has eight arched windows.
Next to the Agam Kuan lies the Shitala Devi temple, dedicated to Shitala Devi, which houses the pindas of the 'Saptamatrikas' (the seven mother goddesses). The temple is widely revered for its potency in curing smallpox and chicken pox, as with all Shitala Devi temples, and is also visited by devotees for wish fulfillment.
Begu Hajjam's Mosque is located in Patna City (old city) region. It lies on the roadside to the east of Khajekalan Ghat. This mosque was originally built by Alauddin Hussain Shah, founder of Hussaini dynasty in Bengal (1489) and was repaired and renovated in 1646 by a barber named Begu Hajjam, who gave his name to it.
Bharatiya Nritya Kala Mandir is located at Chajju Bagh, Patna. It is an arts and crafts museum. Bharatiya Nritya Kala Mandir showcases terracotta, jewellery, sculptures, musical instruments, metal items, stone objects, textiles, masks, wodden palki, pottery, folk art and performing art etc.
Diwan Bahadur Rakhakrishna Jalan Museum is located at Quila House in Patna. The museum was established in the year 1919. The museum is the storehouse of miscellaneous objects including wood sculptures, carpets, Pottery, terracotta, fossils, crystals, beads, ivory, metal objects etc. Diwan Bahadur Rakhakrishna Jalan Museum also houses European Furniture, Chinese porcelain, Nepalese musical instruments and some Burmese materials.
This museum, set up in the year 1963, has on its shelves folk musical instruments, costumes and jewellery. It is located at Bharatiya Nritya Kala Mandir at Chhajjubagh. Its collection also includes terracottas and ceramic specimens dated between 500 BC and 500 AD.
Gandhi Maidan, previously known as the Patna Lawns, is a historic ground at Patna near the banks of Ganges. The Golghar falls to its west. This ground saw the launch of several movements during the Indian freedom struggle, the most important being the Champaran movement and the Quit India movement of 1942. The flag-raising ceremony on the Indian Independence Day and Republic Day is held here by the Chief Minister and Governor of Bihar respectively.
Gandhi Sangrahalaya is located on Ashok Rajpath at the north-western corner of Gandhi Maidan and contains pictorial and other records showing the association of Mahatma Gandhi with Bihar. Gandhiji has stayed at this house of the then education minister Dr. Syed Mahmud in 1947. Now this house has become famous by the name of Gandhi Sangrahalaya.
The Aarti, is introduced by the Chief Minister of the city, to promote spiritualism and tourism in the state. Chanting religious hymns, five Hindu priests led by Pandit Satyendra Mishra began the Aarti with 51 lamps as the visitors sang the song in unison to pay their respect to the river Ganges.
The Golghar or Gol Ghar, ("Round house"), located to the west of the Gandhi Maidan in Patna, capital of Bihar state. Built in the native Stupa architecture, the building has a foundation of 125m, and a height of 29 m. It is pillarless with a wall of thickness of 3.6 m at the base. One can climb atop the Golghar through the 145 steps of its spiral stairway around the monument. The spiral staircase was designed so as to facilitate the passage of the coolies, who had to carry grain-bags up one flight, deliver their load through a hole at the top, and descend the other stairs.
The top of the Golghar presents a wonderful panoramic view of the city and the Ganges flowing nearby. At time of its construction, it was the tallest building in Patna.
Gurdwara Bal Lila Maini in a narrow lane close to Takht Sri Harmandir Sahib marks the house where King Fateh Chand Maini lived. His childless Queen had developed special fondness for the young Guru Gobind Singh, who, too, often came here to sit in the Queen's lap giving her immense delight and spiritual solace. She fed the Child Gobind and his playmates, at this demand, with boiled and salted gram.
Even now boiled and salted gram is served as prasad (consecrated food) in this Gurdwara, which, unlike the other shrines in Patna Sahib, is served by Nirmala Sikhs. A wood carving on the old front door is dated August 28, 1668, but the hall housing the sanctum and other blocks of rooms in the inner compound have been reconstructed during recent decades.
Gurdwara Pahila Bara, commonly known as Gurdwara Ghai Ghat, is dedicated to Guru Nanak Dev, who during his visit in to Patna stayed here. This was Bhagat Jaitamal's house. Jaitamal was a pious man, confectioner by trade, who became the Guru's follower and later converted his house into a dharmsala.
It is about 4 kilometers from Takht Sri Harmandir Sahib. Gurdwara Pahila Bara is oldest Gurdwara is this region. A new building comprising a spacious square hall with the sanctum in the middle was constructed during the 1980.
About three kilometers east of Takht Sri Harmandir Sahib is where Guru Tegh Bahadur first alighted in a garden (bagh) belonging to Nawabs Rahim Bakhsh and Karim Bakhsh, nobles of Patna, and where the sangat of Patna along with the young Guru Gobind Singh came out to receive him back from his four year long odyssey.
A shrine commemorative of the first meeting of Holy Father and son was established here. Its present building was constructed during the 1970s and 1980s. An old well still in use and a dried stump of the imli tree under which the sangat met Guru Tegh Bahadur still exist.
Gurdwara Handi Sahib is situated in Danapur is a cantonment station, 20 km west of old Patna City. Guru Tegh Bahadur had returned to Punjab in April 1670 leaving his family behind at Patna. The family after leaving Patna Sahib made their first halt here. An old lady named Mai Pardhani served a kettleful (handi) of khichari to them after which the shrine subsequently built here was named as Handiwali Sangat, which is now called Gurdwara handi Sahib.
Gurdwara Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ghat situated on the bank of river Ganges is hardly 200 yards from Takht Shri Patna Saheb. It is also popular as Kangan Ghat where child Guru Gobind Singh had thrown his gold bangle. On the same bank child Guru Gobind Singh had blessed mental peace to Pandit Shiv Dutt, a devotee of Sri Ram Chandra.
Here the child Guru Gobind Singh used to play with his playmates on the bank of the Ganges. This ghat about one furlong from Takht Shri Harmandir Saheb is marked by a gateway over which this Gurdwara is situated in a single room. The river has, however, receded since away to the north.
This is one of the most revered temples of Patna and is located right in front of the Patna Junction. You can see lots of devotees standing in the long winding queues to offer prayers in the traditional manner to the residing deity.
The origin of the Shiva temple at Sonepur, known as Hariharnath Mandir, is shrouded in mystery. Orthodox Hindus believe Lord Rama built the temple on his way to Janakpur to win Sita. Raja Ram Narain, a noted figure of Bihar, built the present temple during the later Mughal period. The temple was recently reconstructed by the Birlas. The temple of Hariharnath Mahadeo is the principal place of worship here but several smaller temples also receive the offerings of pilgrims. Among these are the Kali Sthan and the Panch Devata Mandir. The latter was built by a priestess who claimed to have built the temple with the offerings she received.
Indira Gandhi Planetarium is located in Patna's Indira Gandhi Science Complex. Planetarium was constructed through Bihar Council on Science and Technology. The Planetarium was dedicated to the Nation and opened for the public from 1 April 1993.It is named after senior Indian National Congress leader and former Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi.
The Patna Planetarium is one of the largest planetariums in Asia. It attracts a large number of domestic as well as foreign tourists. The planetarium has regular film shows on subjects related to astronomy. It also holds exhibitions, which attracts lots of visitors.
Jalan museum or Qila House is situated at the old site of Sher Shah`s fort. It has an excellent collection of jade, Chinese paintings, Mughal glass and silver carvings. The museum has some private collection so it can be visited only with prior permission.
Kargil Chowk is a War memorial. It was established in year 2000, near by Gandhi Maidan, Patna. It is dedicated to the soldiers from Bihar and Jharkhand who had sacrificed their lives in the Pakistani infiltration in 1999.
Bihar government has declared 1, Deshratna Marg, the official residence of former state chief minister the late Karpoori Thakur, a memorial museum to commemorate the life, achievements and philosophy of Late Thakur. The Jananayak Karpoori Thakur Smriti Sangrahalaya displays and preserves articles of daily use, clothes, documents, letters, diaries, writings and several other things that belonged to the former chief minister.
Khuda Bakhsh Oriental Library is one of the national libraries of India. It was opened to public in October, 1891 by Khan Bahadur Khuda Bakhsh with 4,000 manuscripts, of which he inherited 1,400 from his father Maulvi Mohammed Bakhsh. It is an autonomous organization under Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
Some of the notable manuscripts are Timur Nama (Khandan--Timuria), Shah Nama, Padshah Nama, Diwan-e-Hafiz and Safinatul Auliya, carrying the autograph of Mughal Emperors and princes and the book of Military Accounts of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Apart of it the library also has specimens of Mughal paintings, calligraphy and book decoration and Arabic and Urdu manuscripts, including a page of Quran written on deer skin.
Kumhrar or Kumrahar is the remains of an ancient city of Pataliputra, located 5 km from Patna Railway Station. The archaeological remains of the Mauryan period (322-185 BCE), has been discovered here, this include the ruins of a hypostyle 80-pillared hall. The excavation finding here dates back to 600 B.C, and marks the ancient capital of Ajatshatru, Chandragupta and Ashoka, and collectively the relics range from four continuous periods from 600 BC to 600 AD.
Mahatma Gandhi Setu a bridge over the river Ganges, was the longest river bridge in India. It connects Patna in the south to Hajipur in north. It was inaugurated in May 1982 by the then Prime Minister, Mrs Indira Gandhi. Its length is 5,575 metres (18,291 ft) which makes it was one of the longest bridges in the world. There are 48 pilers to this bridge.
It consists 46 spans of 121 metres (397 ft) each and 2 spans of 63 metres (207 ft) at each end. The deck provides for a 7.5 metres (25 ft) wide two lane roadway for IRC class 70 R loading with footpaths on either side.
Mahavir Mandir is one of the holiest Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Hanuman, located in Patna, Bihar, India. Million of pilgrims visit the temple every year and is the second most visited religious shrine in North India. The Mahavir Mandir Trusts have the second highest budget in North India after the famous Maa Vaishno Devi shrine. The earning of Mahavir Mandir has gone now up to an average of Rs 1 lakh per day.
'Khanqah Emadia' at Mangal Talab in Patna City is a branch of the 'Khanqah Mujeebia', and has a history of about a century. An Urs is held here annually when thousands of people assemble and pay their respect to their beloved Sufi saint. A large number of tourists, including pilgrims from Pakistan and Bangladesh, visit these Sufi sites.
The Martyr's Memorial is a life-size statue of seven brave young men who sacrificed their lives in the Quit India movement(August 1942), to hoist the national flag on the (now) Secretariat building. The foundation stone of Martyr's Memorial was laid on August 15, 1947, by the governor of Bihar, Mr. Jairam Das Daulatram. The sculptor Mr. Deviprasad Roychoudhry built the bronze statue of the seven students with the national flag. These statues were cast in Italy and later placed here. Martyr's Memorial is situated outside the Secretariat building in Patna.
'Khanqah Munimia' at Meetan Ghat in Patna City (old city) is another 18th century Sufi centre which still attracts many. A beautiful double-storied mosque was built by Mughal Prince Azim on the bank of the river Ganga at Meetan Ghat in Patna City that was called Azimabad during the reign of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. Every year, after five days of Eid festival, an Urs Chiraga is held here for which many people assemble at this place.
Naghol kothi is a palace (Kothi) located in Patna City, India. This building was built in the British Raj, by a mughal architect and is splendid example of Mughal architecture. This building is surrounded by a beautiful garden. Owned initially by Raja Babu, this building was later sold to Mr. Akhtar Hussain, now survived by his younger son Mr. Masih Ahmad, and the son of his elder son Mr. Nashit Humam.
Nalanda is the name of an ancient center of higher learning in Bihar, India. The site of Nalanda is located in the Indian state of Bihar, about 55 miles south east of Patna, and was a Buddhist center of learning from 427 to 1197 CE. It has been called "one of the first great universities in recorded history." Some buildings were constructed by the Mauryan emperor Ashoka the Great.
The great library of Nalanda University was so vast that it is reported to have burned for three months after the Mughals set fire to it, sacked and destroyed the monasteries, and drove the monks from the site. In 2006, Singapore, China, India, Japan, and other nations, announced a proposed plan to restore and revive the ancient site as Nalanda International University.
The old opium warehouse in Gulzarbagh is located in a walked compound on the river bank. This opium warehouse was constructed by the East India Company and is now used as the government printing press. The visitors can enter the three long portioned buildings, from where the opium was packaged before being sent by boat to Kolkata.
Padri-Ki-Haveli ("Mansion of Padre"), also known as St Mary's Church, it is the oldest church in Bihar. When Roman Catholics were arrived in Bihar, they built a small church in 1713 at a place now known as Padri-ki-Haveli. The current church was re-designed by a Venetian architect Tirreto in 1772. He came from Kolkata to design this church. The foundation stone of this huge church has a dimension of 70 feet in length, 40 feet wide and 50 feet in height.
Patan Devi, also called Maa Patneshwari, is the oldest and one of the most sacred temples of Patna. It is regarded as one of the 51 Siddha Shakti Pithas in India. The ancient temple, originally called Maa Sarvanand Kari Patneshwari, is believed to be the abode of the goddess Durga. The name of the city Patna is widely believed to have been derived from the name of the Bari Patan Devi Temple.
As in many other places, a mela is also held near these temples at the time of Vijayadashmi. On Saptami, Ashtami and Navami (Durga Puja)during the mela about 600 people come to offer prayers daily at either of the two temples. Visitors generally bring sweets, garlands and fruits to offer to the deities. The priest of the temple takes some quantity of the prasad and returns the rest to the devotees. He marks their forehead with Rori (red powder). The devotees also give some money to the priest as "dakshina".
The Pathar Ki Masjid stands on the bank of river Ganges near the Takht Shri Harmandir Saheb. Parvez Shah, son of Jahangir established Pathar Ki Masjid in 1621. The structure is built of stone, and so it got its name as Pathar Ki Masjid. Pathar Ki Masjid is also very popular among the local Islamic community. Apart from religious functions, this old mosque also serves the purpose being a major landmark of the city.
Pathar Ki Masjid is also called Saif Khan's mosque Chimmi Ghat mosque, and Sangi Masjid.
The Patna Golf Club was established on March 21, 1916 when the Government of the Province of Bihar and Odisha had sanctioned the lease of 165 acres (0.67 km2) of land west of the Government House to the South Bihar Gymkhana Club. The club was formed by Mr. C.S. Bayley, among others, who would later become the Governor of Bihar.
Patna Museum is the state museum of the Indian state of Bihar. Built in 1917 during the British Raj to house the historical artefacts found in the vicinity of Patna, it is in the style of Mughal and Rajput architecture and is known locally as the Jadu Ghar. Items on display in the multipurpose museum include archaeological objects, coins, art objects, paintings, instruments, textiles, paintings, thankas, bronze images and sculptures and terra cotta images by Hindu and Buddhist artists. It has a rare collection of British-period paintings depicting day-to-day life, as well as a fine collection related to the first President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
Didarganj Yakshi (or Didarganj Chauri Bearer) is viewed as one of the finest examples of Mauryan art in this museum.
The small town of Phulwari Sharif has now turned into a prominent city and a notified area of the Patna, capital city of Bihar. Sangi Masjid of the place bears relics of the rich architectural past of the region. Built in red sand stone by the Mughal Emperor Humayun, the Mosque is one of the main attraction for the tourist and believers of the Muslim religion near the mosque there is a shrine [Tomb} of Lal shah baba its known as Lal miyan ki dargah there is some wellknown people are living there like Shah Helal Ahmad Qadri, Shah Aminullah Qadri etc.
The Rajendra Smriti Sangrahalaya was set up in 1963 in memory of Dr Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, with his belongings of daily use and articles received as gifts and presents. The Sangrahalaya was started in the same building at Sadaqat Ashram, the Bihar head quarters of Congress party, in which' Dr Prasad resided after his retirement from the office of the President till the end of his mortal life.
The holiest of all the rivers, Ganga or the Ganges is a perennial river, which is held in high regard by the Hindus. The Ganga river has an exalted position in the Hindu ethos. The Ganges has many names associated with its many roles in Sanskrit mythology. Bhagiratha himself is the source of the name Bhagirathi (of Bhagiratha), which is its initial stream, but is also another name for the Hooghly. At one point, Bhagiratha went too close to the sage Jahnu's meditation site, and the disturbed hermit immediately gulped up all the waters. Eventually, after more persuasion from Bhagiratha, the sage yielded the waters, but Ganges retained the name "Jahnavi". Patna city is situated at the bank of the Ganga.
The Ashram is the headquarters of Bihar Vidyapeeth, a national university. India`s first president, Dr. Rajendra Prasad lived here after his retirement and there is a small museum here showcasing his personal belongings.
Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan (also known as Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Garden or Patna Zoo) is located near Bailey Road in Patna, Bihar, India. The park was opened to the public as a zoo in 1973, and is one of the 16 largest zoos in the country.Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan (also known as Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Garden or Patna Zoo) is located near Bailey Road in Patna, Bihar, India. The park was opened to the public as a zoo in 1973, and is one of the 16 largest zoos in the country. The zoo is currently home to over 800 animals of about 110 species, including tiger, leopard, clouded leopard, hippopotamus, crocodile, Elephants, Himalayan black bear, jackal, black bucks, spotted deer, peafowl, hill myna, gharial, python, Indian rhinoceros, giraffe, and zebra, emu, and white peacock.
The park also includes an aquarium which is the largest revenue generator after the general admission fee. The aquarium has about 35 species of fish, and the snake house has 32 snakes belonging to 5 species.
Sher Shah Suri Masjid, mosque, Patna,also known as Shershahi, is an example of the Afghan style of architecture. Sher Shah Suri built this mosque in 1540-1545 to commemorate his reign. Built in Afghani architectural style, it is one of the many historic mosques in India and a landmark in Patna. There is a tomb inside the complex of the mosque which is covered by an octagonal stone slab. But the star attraction of the Sher Shah Suri Masjid is its central dome which lies in the middle of the roof and is surrounded by Four small domes. The unique part of thist design is that if you view from any angle there appears to be only three domes.
Shri Krishna Memorial Hall is a conference hall near Gandhi Maidan, Patna in honour of the first Chief Minister of Bihar, Sri Krishna Sinha.
The Sonepur Mela takes place at the town Sonepur which is 22km from Patna. One of the most astonishing cattle fairs to be held in Asia in terms of its size and scale. The Mela takes place on Kartik Purnima, a fortnight after Diwali , and people from all over the world get together to participate in this huge festival and is enjoyed by all.
Science Museum "Srikrishna Science Centre" was established in Patna in the year 1978 which was named after the first Chief Minister of Bihar (Dr. Sri Krishna Singh). This institution forms a unit of the National Council of Science Museums, an autonoums body under the ministry of Culture. It is located at south-western corner of the Gandhi Maidan. The Science Centre has been set up with all round objectives for the benefit of the public, especially the students of Schools and Colleges.
St Luke's Church is one of the oldest churches in Bihar. Spread over an area of one acre, its construction started in April 1827 and it was completed in 1830. The church, known for its marvellous carvings on the wooden sheets, was originally a big hall with the sitting capacity for 400 people. Plaques installed on the walls record the history of the Cantonment. The British Retreat in Kabul and the First War of Independence in 1857 come alive on these plaques, dedicated to the memory of Lt A S Bechar who fell victim to the bullets of mutineers in Lucknowon October 9, 1857.
St Stephen's Church is another church in Danapur Cantonment. It was completed in 1854 under the supervision of Italian priests. The earthquake of 1934 badly damaged its walls. Its furniture, pews and lectern date back to 1885. A unique feature of this church is its Baptismal font, which is made of wood. Every artistic piece bears the symbol of the Cross. The brass flower pots and candelabra here are 137 years old. During the first war of independence in 1857, sisters of St Joseph with children took shel- ter in this church to save their lives. They stayed in the church till August 1857. However, Mother Josephine and her sister Mathide Koch died during their confinement.
The Gurdwara at Patna Sahib was in remembrance of the birth place of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of the Sikhs on 22 December 1666, and like many historical Gurdwara's in India and Pakistan, this Gurdwara too, was built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1839), the first Maharaja of the Sikh Empire, on the banks of Ganges river, in Patna, Bihar.
Originally,this is the place where Guru Nanak visited before going to the holy place Gaya.He was a great scholar of history and knew the importance of Pataliputra, which already was almost forgotten by Hindus. He tried to revive the glory of Indian culture.At this place stood the haveli of Salis Rai Jouri, who was a great devotee of Guru Nanak. He was so much influenced by the teachings of the Guru that he converted his palatial home into a dharamsala (place where dharam is learned).
30 km from Patna, Maner was a medieval stronghold of the Turks. Here also are the shrines of Hazrat Makhdum Yahya Maneri and his son Shafruddin Ahmed Maneri. The village has many historical monuments.
Tombs of Shah Daulat or Makhdum Daulat, is known as Choti Dargah, and the other of Sheikh Yahia Maneri or Makhdum Yahia, also called the Bari Dargah. Ibrahim Khan, Governor of Bihar was his disciple and completed his mausoleum in 1616. The building has lots of carvings that are very delicate. The dome is covered with inscriptions from the Quran. The compound has a mosque that was built by Ibrahim Khan in 1619. There is a gate with very old inscription dated 1603-01 opening to the north. The tomb of Yahia Maneri is inside the mosque surrounded by walls and ghats. It has pillared porticos and is connected to old bed of River Sone with a 400-ft long tunnel.
- Religious Sites : Birla Mandir, Nawab Shahid-Ka-Maqbara, Kali Mandir, Kamaldah Jain Temple etc.
- Pachim Darwaza, Bulandibag, Bhikhnapahari, Bihar Institute of Handicrafts and Designs etc.