Vijay Raj Rajeshwar Temple
Ek Thambiya Mahal
Udai Bilas Palace - Swimming Pool
Udai Bilas Palace - Gaibsagar Lake View
Udai Bilas Palace - Cannons
Welcome to Dungarpur,
Dungarpur the "City of Hills" was founded in the 13th century and rose to fame under the Guhilot Ahara Suryavanshi Rajputs, who trace their ancestry from the elder branch of the main lineage at Chittorgarh. The cousins however came together to fight many a historic battle against the invaders. Some 700 years later, Dungarpur is still a picturesque town set amongst the rugged peaks of the Aravalli mountains.
Dungarpur has a wide variety of attractions for tourists. There are many historical, religious and beautiful structures to visit here. This wide variety has opened a big world of opportunities for Dungarpur to be developed as a sought after tourist destination. Apart from this, it also satisfies the desires of a frequent traveler. The palaces, forts, temples etc, hide hundreds of years of old history of Dungarpur.
Dungarpur is becoming popular day by day especially among foreign tourists mainly because of its peaceful environment and scenic beauty.
Situated on one side of Gaibsagar, Badal Mahal is known for its distinct design. It was constructed in two stages. Maharawal Gopinath built Verandah and ground floor in the first stage. In second stage, Marahawal Punjraj (1609-1657AD) built verandah in front of ground floor, first floor and dome, apart from making some renovations in the construction done in the front stage. Badal Mahal is built using Dawra stone.
There are one half ripe lotus each on all the three domes and three half ripe lotus on longest dome of Badal Mahal, which adds to the beauty of this palace. One can see all three construction styles at one place, small windows of Dungarpur style, rajput style of simplicity and strength and mughal style of adorning a building. Maharawal Gopinath built this small palace as a leisure home. State guests also used to stay at this palace. Later on, Chief of Army staff used to camp at this place. This palace was also used to hold discussions with revolutionary leaders.
Baroda village, once the capital of Vagad, is situated at a distance of 41km by road from Dungarpur and lies in Aspur tehsil. In Aspur proper also, there are a number of beautiful temples. Baroda village is famous for the ruins of temples of old Rajput architecture. Saivism and Jainism were the main religions of this place in the early times. Near the tank in Baroda village, there is a beautiful, old Shiva's temple made of white stones.
Near the temple is a 'kundli' bearing an inscription of Samwat 1349 of the times of Maharaj Shri Veer Singh Dev. In the heart of this village lies an old. The principal idol in the temple is that of Parshvanath which was identified in Samwat 1904 by Bhattarak Devendra Suri.
Beneshwar island is situated on the confluence of Mahi and Som River. It is a centre of faith for the whole Vagad region. There occurs a huge fare from Magh Shukla Ekadashi to Magh Krishna Panchami every year. Around 5-7 lakh people from Rajasthan including Vagad, Madhya Pradesh, Gujrat, Maharashtra and other states participate in this fare. Beneshwar fare is also known as "Kumbh of Vagad".
One can have a wholesome experience of tribal culture in Beneshwar fare. The devotees take holy dip and disperse the ashes of their near and dear ones in the waters of confluence. It is believed that, dispersing the ashes here, frees the soul of the dead. For the tribals of vagad region, Beneshwar is equivalent to Haridwar, Prayag and Kashi. Beneshwar is situated 65kms from Dungarpur, 22kms from Aspur, 53kms from Banswara and 123kms from Udaipur. Nearest bus stand is 5kms away at Sabla.
There is a very old Shiv temple, Radha-Krishna Temple, Brahma and Valmiki Temple, holy Yagna Vedi of King Bali, Abudarra water spot with immense depth, etc. are worth seeing on this island. The museum here incorporates literature about Saint Mavji Maharaj is also worth a visit. An anicut has been built on Mahi river by TAD Deptt. to ensure year long availability of water around this island.
A Shiva temple is located in Bhuvaneshwar, in the lap of picturesque hills, 12 kilometers from district headquarters on the road to Bichhiwara.
A naturally carved Shivling is present in the temple's sanctum sanctorum, towards which people have immense faith. A God Forest and ancient monasteries and a temple are also situated on the mountain.
On Rangpanchmi every year, a fare is held at Bhuvaneshwar where Gair dance performed by local tribal community remains the main center of attraction.
The temple of Boreshwar Mahadeo is situated at a distance of 83 km from Dungarpur near village Solaj in Aspur tehsil and belongs to 1179 A.D.
Situated at 25Kms from Dungarpur on the banks of Som River, Devsomnath Temple is no less than a charisma. This temple is unparalleled in the whole world, as it was built only using stone, with no packing material like lime, sand etc. Since this temple was built in Dev village on the banks of Som river, it is also known as Devsomnath Temple.
It was built by Sompuras in 12th century. This grand three storey structure stands on 150 stone pillars. Every pillar is articulate and display distinct takshan style. Adorned pillars of sabha mandap are centre of attraction. There are unclear writings on stone pillars.
Three are three entrances in east, north and south. Small windows in grand temple, idols of dancers, different other idols, arches, entrances are a treat to watch. The womb is way below sabha mandap thus doing justice to its name and one needs to take a staircase to reach there. A dark black stone shivling is situated in centre of white stone base in the main temple. The entrance gate of womb is a brilliant example of construction style and minute stone work. There is a big water tank on the back side of temple which is connected to the womb through a stone canal. An idol of Lord Hanuman, is also present here.
"Krishna Prakash" situated in Udai Bilas, as beautiful as a dream, is also known as 'Ek Thambiya Mahal'. It is surrounded by Udai Bilas, Khuman Niwas, Vijay Niwas and Lakshman Niwas from four sides.
It is built in the centre of four faced pond in a perfect square chowk (courtyard). The chowk is built with beautiful pink and white stone. The Ek Thambiya Mahal is a splendid example of extraordinary architecture style of local architects of Dungarpur.
Situated just opposite to Gaibsagar lake, this hillock provides a place to view at the whole of Dungarpur city from a good height.
On the east you can see Gaibsagar lake, Badal Mahal and Udai Bilas Palace along with Vijay Rajrajeshwar Temple in its complete grandeur, on the northern side , old city in its complete beauty, and on the west, the modern establishments can be seen along with vast landscape.
On the top of this hillock is a small temple of Hanumanji. The human sized statue of Swami Vivekanand infuse the feeling of inspiration to all those who come here.
Gaibsagar lake, built by Maharaj Gopinath (Gaipa Rawal) has always been a symbol of pride, not only for the people of Dungarpur but also for the whole district. it was built in 1428AD, The proof of which was found on a nine line inscription near Hanuman Temple. Gaibsagar lake has been famous in his history, literature, spirituality to local people of Dungarpur.
Various local stories have been attached to this lake which has kept a sense of faith in the minds of local people of Dungarpur. Gaipa Rawal, who was an avid nature lover, built 'Bhaga Palace' on the rear side of this lake just to watch the beauty of the waves and later on built Badal Mahal in the center of this lake. Saint Mavji Maharaj also predicted about this lake, whereas Gavri Bai who was also known as Meera of Vagad, sang in praise of Gaibsagar by calling it 'Gaibsagar Gang' in her poems.
Udai Bilas Palace and Vijay Rajrajeshwar built by Maharawal Udai Singh are splendid examples of architecture. There is Badal Mahal situated in the center of the lake and a huge temple of Shri Govardhannath built by Maharawal Punja (Punjraj) on the main pal of this lake. Small temples by the name of Bavan (fifty two) Deri in the compound of this temple simply attracts attention of visitors.
Renovation of Gaibsagar has been done from time to time. Huge renovation of Gaibsagar was done by 27th Maharawal of Dungarpur Maharawal Shiv Singh during his tenure from 1730-1785. He built domes on the main pal known as Shiv Shahi Chatriyaan (Domes) to develop Gaibsagar, as a tourist spot.
There are three other domes situated on the pal known as 'Choubiso Ki Chatriyaan'. Bhaga Mahal built by Gaipa Rawal, is also situated on the pal.
On one hand, Gaibsagar lake situated in the heart of Dungarpur adds beauty to this place, while on the other hand it has created a strong bond with the people of Dungarpur as a spot of carrying out various traditional customs of all religions.
Situated on the bank of Mahi river Galiakot village is located 58 km towards the south-east of Dungarpur. The nearest town of Sagwara lies at a distance of 19 km. According to the tradition Galiakot derives its name from a Bhil Chieftain, who ruled the area. It was once the capital of the parmars and also of the erstwhile Dungarpur State.
The relics of an old fort can still be seen. The village owes its renown to the shrine of Syed Fakhruddin. it is visited by thousands of Dawoodi Bohara devotees who gather here from all over the country at the time of annual ' Urs' which is held from the 27th day of Muhharram, the first month of Mohammedan year. Syed Fakhruddin was a highly religious man. He was widely known for his learning and saintliness. In the course of his wandering, he died at Galiakot village and was buried there.
Besides these places of religious and historical importance there are in the district, other places like Modhpur having Vijia Mata's Temple, poonjpur, Sagwara having 'Yati-ji-Chatri' and Vasundhara having an ancient Vasundhara Devi Temple.
Juna Mahal is situated on the foothills of Dhanmata hillock in Dungarpur. It's a lively document of seven hundred years old, breath taking paintings and splendid construction style. Juna Mahal is also known as "Bada Mahal" (Big Palace) or "Purana Mahal" (Old Palace). Rawal Veer Singh Deo initiated the construction of this palace in Vikram Samvat (Hindu Calender) in 1939 on Kartik Shukla Ekadashi. After realizing the importance of this palace, his son Rawal Bhuchand transferred the capital of Dungarpur State to this palace. Since then, this palace became the centre of all the activities of Dungarpur State. The construction of this palace could only be completed in eighteenth century after laying the foundation stone in thirteenth century.
This palace is built on a high platform constructed from Dawra stone. There is a two storey basement in this palace and its overall height is seven storey. All the wings of this palace are connected through single staircase and that is why this palace appears to be a single unit. Main entrance Rampol alongwith articulate Tripolia Gate seems to mesmerize tourists.
The main characteristic of this palace is the use of local Parewa stone. Beautiful window pane with detailed hand work done in this stone is very attractive. Beautiful windows made from green and blue Parewa stone, attractive arches, articulate stone pillars adds to the beauty of this palace. Octagonal or square pillars in the base of Palace, beautifully carved windows are best examples of Hindu temple architecture. The glass and wall paintings in Mewari style with local touch are extraordinary.
The articulate color paintings done in various rooms of the palace is unparallel in whole world. This type of beautiful arrangement of glass pieces cannot be found even in the glass palaces of Rajputana Kings. This palace is extremely popular among tourists because of its mesmerizing paintings along with mature Rajput style of architecture.
Nagfanji situated in the mountainous region near village Modar under Bichhiwara Panchayat Samiti is a place of natural beauty, reverence and tourist attraction.
There is a water source which seeps from the mountains. The combined statue of Nagfanji Parshwanath, Devi Padmawati and Dharnendra is the centre of people's faith in this Jain temple. Nagfanji Shivalaya situated nearby this temple is also a centre of people's faith.
During monsoon this whole area becomes naturally beautiful due to small hills all around. The plush hills and small valleys during monsoon are a treat to watch.
Rajmata Devendra Kunwar Museum portray rich historical heritage of Dungarpur. Mesmerizing collections, showing glimpses of old civilization and culture of Vagad area, is center of attraction. Attractive articulate statues, old historical remains are a treat to watch. Statutes of various deities, stone inscriptions, metal statues, coins, small paintings displayed here, dates back to 6th century.
The whole collection is displayed in three galleries. In the first gallery, all the antiques collected from various parts of Vagad area are displayed. The statues displayed here are of between Gupta dynasty (6th century to 16th century). These statues are collected from Amjhara, Galiyakot, Baroda and other places of the Dungarpur district. Most important among them is, Trantrik Ganesh statue which is of 5-6th century (Gupta dynasty) and was found at Amjhara. This statue speaks volumes about practice of black magic at that time. Shiva holding veena (musical instrument), Brahmi wearing deer hide, Harihar statue of 12-13th century, Vaishnavi riding a Garud (Lamaisure), Kaumari, Padmidi, Panala, Kumar, Padmapani yaksha and statue of Varah are among the notables. Statue of Kuber couple, half sized statue of Sur-Sundari, Adinath in meditation position, Mahishasurmardini and post medieval period statues of Sthanak Surya (Sun), Parvati in penance position, Laxminarayan riding on Garuda and Jain statues express detailed sculpting skills and minute stone work.
Vijay Stambh and Kutub Minar made from postage stamps are main center of attraction in second (cultural) gallery of this museum. Antiques made from metal, Terrakota idol sculpture of Molela, Tribal man-woman displaying cultural customs of Vagad, marriage ceremony, oil paintings of groups performing local gair dance along with different local musical instruments of Vagad area. Suryanarayan statue of 11-12th century found from Baroda and photographs of Gaibsagar Lake, Juna Mahal, Chundawara Palace, Galiyakot shrine, Rajrajeshwar temple, Kshetrapal, Hadmatiya, Surpur, Beneshwar, Arthuna etc. also displayed here.
Inscriptions recovered from whole Vagad area are displayed in third gallery of the museum.
This temple is approximately 500 years old situated at center of the city
This temple was built by Maharawal Punjraj and carried out pratishthapan (consecration) on 25th April, 1623AD. Human sized statues of Goverdhannathji and Shri Radhikaji are the main attraction of this south faced temple.
According to Pushti Marg writings, promoter of Pushti Marg, Goswami Shri Vitthalnath son of Shri Vallabhacharya, inspired Maharawal Shri Punjraj to build this temple. Shri Gopendralal, descendant of Shri Vitthalnath stayed in Dungarpur between Vikram Samvat 1721-1732. During his stay, Swaroop was established and services of the temple started to be carried out in Bhakti Marg way and because of this, the temple was being named as Shrinathji Temple.
The statue here is unparalled and cannot be found elsewhere in India. There is "Bhramanti' (gallery) along with the main temple for Parikrama. Medium sized temple of Shri Ramchandraji and Shri Baake Bihariji are also situated along with the main temple. There is a three storey Goodh Mandap (hall) standing on 12 pillars and 64 legs. This hall serves all the three temples.
There is a huge compound in front of the main temple. 16 east faced small deity temple, 16 west faced small deity temple and 4 north faced small deity temple adds grandeur to this temple.
This palace was built by Maharawal Udai Singh-II, on the banks of Gaibsagar lake in Shivbagh complex between 1883-87AD, for their own residence. This palace was built from local balwariya and parewa stone.
The palace is divided into three parts viz Udai Bilas, Raniwas and Krishna Prakash (Ek Thambiya Mahal). This palace offers mesmerizing paintings and attractive architecture. Presently, a heritage hotel is being operated in one part of this palace.
Vijay Raj Rajeshwar is situated in Gaibsagar lake. Vijay Raj Rajeshwar is a centre of attraction for tourists because of its beautiful location and Mahadev Temple.
Maharawal Vijay Singh started construction of the Mahadev Temple but its pratishthapan (consecration) was done by Maharawal Lakshman Singh in 1923AD. A very beautiful statue of Shiv Vigrah and Devi Parvati is there in this Mahadev Temple.
- Surpur (3Kms from Dungarpur) : A complex of old temples situated in the banks of Gangdi river in Surpur village which are famous for their architecture.