Plan Your Trip
Tour to Hooghly
Holiday Tour
Hangseswari Temple, Banshberia, HooghlyHooghly Imambara, HooghlyAnanta Basudeba Temple, Banshberia, HooghlyRathayatra of Mahesh, Serampore, HooghlyNritya Gopal Smriti Temple, HooghlyPandua Bari Mosque, HooghlyTarakeshwar Temple, HooghlyZafar Khan Ghazi Mosque, HooghlyChandannagore Strand, HooghlySuakhal and Moyur Mahal, Hooghly

Welcome to Hooghly,

Hooghly is a district in the Indian state of West Bengal. The district is named after the Hooghly River. The district has thousands of years of rich heritage in the form of the great Bengali kingdom of Bhurshut. The first European to reach this area was the Portuguese sailor Vasco-Da-Gama. Hooghly is a major commercial center and the largest port in Bengal.

Some of the famous places to visit are Hangseswari Temple, Banshberia, Tarakeshwar Temple, Shri Ramakrishna Math, Bandel Church, Hooghly Imambara etc.

Holiday Tour
Singapore Tour
Famous Places in Hooghly
Ananta Basudeba Temple, Banshberia
Enlarge

Ananta Basudeba Temple is a temple of Lord Krishna in the Hangseshwari temple complex in Banshberia, in the Hooghly District in the Indian state of West Bengal. Built by Raja Rameswar Datta in 1679, this temple is noted for the exquisite terra cotta works on its walls. It is built in the traditional eka-ratna style, with curved cornices. The tower on top of the temple is octagonal. The terracota works depict stories from the great Indian epics Ramayana and Mahabharata, as well as from lilas of Krishna.


Antpur Radhagovindjiu Temple
Enlarge

The most famous temple in Antpur is that of Radhagovindjiu with exquisite terracotta carvings depicting stories from all the 18 puranas. This 100 feet high temple was constructed by Krishna Ram Mitra, the Diwan of Bardhaman Raj in 1786 (1708 Shakabda). Its Chandi Mandap and Dol Mancha have beautifully crafted wood carvings. Besides the main temple of Radhagovindjiu are the temples of Gangadhara, Fuleswara, Rameswara, Jaleswara and Baneswara.


Armenian Church, Chinsurah
Enlarge

The Armenian have the distinction of having the oldest church in the town, which also happens to be the second oldest church in Bengal (Bandel Church is the oldest church in Bengal). Official known as the St. John the Baptist Church, the Armenian Church of Chinsurah or Chuchura dates back to 1692. The Armenian Church of Chinsurah or Chuchura usually remains closed throughout the year. But every year on the second / third Sunday of January the Armenians of Calcutta (Kolkata) make their annual pilgrimage to the St. John the Baptist Church.


Bandel Church
Enlarge

Bandel Church is one of the most ancient churches of India and was built around 1600 A.D. This church was built under the immediate guidance of Portuguese invaders and serves as a major centre of Christianity in the state of West Bengal. The main building of the church has faced several attacks by radical elements and has gone through a series of renovations. Bandel Church is known globally for its artistic Roman style of architecture and is surrounded by a unique aura of the European lifestyle. This church receives a huge number of visitors who come here in search of peace, historical knowledge and photography.


Brindavan Jew Temple
Enlarge

The Brindavan Jew Temple in Guptipara is actually a cluster of 4. 17th century terracotta temples. Local legend has it that Clive visited this temple before the Battle of Plassey and presented one of his swords to the mahanta. Guptipara is also the site of a well-known Ratha Yatra. There is another cluster of three temples - Anandamoyee, Horosundari and Nistarini - at Somraa. The temple at Dakshineswar is said to be modeled on these. The Rass Mancha at Sripur Bazaar, a product of Vaishnava culture, has unique wood carvings.


Chandannagore Museum
Enlarge

One of the oldest museums of the region. It boasts a collection of French antiques (such as cannons used in Anglo-French war, wooden furniture of 18th century, etc.) which are difficult to find anywhere else in the world. The institute still teaches French through regular classes. Jogendra Nath Sen, resident of Chandannagar who died in France fighting in the World War I. His personal items were sent to his brother in India who later donated them to the Intitut de Chandernagore in Chandannagar.


Chandannagore Strand
Enlarge

Chandannagore Strand is a beautiful tourist spot along the banks of the river Ganges. It is about 1 km in length and 7 m in width, and many buildings with historical importance surround the spot. This is a place where people love to take a walk and gaze at the sailing boats in far waters. This is the best decorated bank of the river, along its entire stretch. A meditation centre has been also erected here.


Chandernagore Church
Enlarge

The beautiful church stands over for two centuries to mark the beauty of the architecture during the French period - a good place to visit for the historians and tourists. The remains of the church at St. Louis is also an attractive tourist spot.


Debanandapur
Enlarge

A village of Hooghly district about 3 kms. west from Bandel Station is connected by the auto service. It is the birth place of 'Katha Silpi' Sarath Chandra Chattopadhay. This village is one of the seven important villages named 'Sapta Gram' at the time of Mughals. On 17th September 1875 Sarat Chandra was born in this village. The dwelling house of Katha Shilpi along with a separate drawing room is still present in the village. A Library named Sarat Smrithi Pathagar including a museum room containing the used things of the famous writer is also present there. There are also four 'Atchala' temples of 19th century present in the village. An old'Dol Mancha' can be seen for the interest in archaeology.


Dutch Cemetery, Chinsurah
Enlarge

Located in a very congested part of the town is the Dutch Cemetery, a Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) protected site. The cemetery contains a assortment of graves scattered under the shade of ancient trees. The oldest date back to 1743 while the newest one is on 1840. Apart from the Dutch and British the Armenians had also left their mark in the town of Chinsurah or Chuchura.


Hangseswari Temple, Banshberia
Enlarge

Hangseswari Temple or Hanseswari temple is a Hindu Temple of goddess Hangseswari(The goddess who came in a dream of Raja Nrisingha Deb Roy Mahasay) in the town of Banshberia at Hooghly District, Indian state of West Bengal. Banshberia is an industrial town positioned in between Bandel and Tribeni. Rani Hanseswari was the mother of Raja Nrisingha Deb Roy, hence the deity is worshipped as Maa Hanseswari. The deity is worshipped as a form of Maa Kali in Hindu mythology. The temple complex has another temple Ananta Basudeba temple besides the main temple.

The Hanseswari temple has a distinctive architecture different from the usual pattern present in this area, consisting 13 minars or Ratnas, each built as a blooming lotus bud. The inner structure of the building resembles human anatomy. It was started by Raja Nrisingha Deb Roy Mahasay and later completed by his widow wife Rani Sankari in 1814. The architecture of the temples is the representation of "Tantrik Satchakrabhed".


Hooghly Imambara
Enlarge

Hooghly Imambara is a massive two storeyed building which was built in the year 1861 by Mohammedan ruler Hazi Mohsin. This building is beautifully situated on the bank of river Ganga and is a major religious centre of the followers of Islam. Brilliantly carved walls, sculptured texts of the Holy Book of Quran, massive pillars on the entrance and an ancient clock tower are some of the most captivating features of this place. The northern block of this building houses a mosque and the southern block has been dedicated to the grave of its founder Hazi Mohsin.


Hooghly River
Enlarge

The Hooghly River or the Bhagirathi-Hooghly, called 'Ganga' traditionally, is an approximately 260-kilometre-long (160 mi) distributary of the Ganga river in West Bengal, India. It splits from the Ganges as a canal in Murshidabad District at the Farakka Barrage. The town of Hugli-Chinsura, is located on the river, in the Hooghly district. Several bridges run over the Hooghly at Kolkata - Howrah Bridge, Vidyasagar Setu, Vivekananda Setu, Nivedita Setu (second Vivekananda Bridge), Jubilee Bridge (chinsurah) and Iswar Gupta Setu.


Jafarganj Cemetery
Enlarge

About half a mile from the Hazarduari Palace is Jafarganj the ruined palace of Mir Jafar. The Cemetery contains the tombs of the Nawab's Nazim, from Mir Jafar to Humayun Jah. Mir Jafar's father Syud Ahmed Nazafi, Alivardi Khan's sister, Shahkhanum, Mir Jafar's widows, Munni Begam and Babbu Begam, Mohamed Ali Khan, the brother and Ismail Ali Khan and Asraf Ali Khan, the sons-in-law of Mir Jafar, lie buried here. This cemetery was built by Mir Jafar, over an area of 3.51 acres.


Kamarpukar
Enlarge

Kamarpukar, situated in the Arambag subdivision of the Hooghly District, is birthplace of Sri Ramakrisna Paramhans. A temple was built here in 1951 and attracts many tourists today. Apart from that, there are a number of old buildings and temples here, which attract a large number of visitors. For instance, there is the ancestral home of Swami Ramkrishna. Amongst the nearby temples, Yogi's Siva temple and Raghubir Temple are the most visited.


Nandadulal Temple
Enlarge

It was built in 1740 by Indra Nararayan Choudhury presents an excellent example of ancient Indian Sculptures. There are many fascinating temples devoted to Kali, Siva and other deities, which show marks of brilliant craftsmanship and artistic taste.


Nritya Gopal Smriti Temple
Enlarge

Built on the Grand Trunk Road in 1860 by the zamindar Harihar Seth, this building is an example of the confluence of native and colonial styles of architecture. It now houses a public library. Harihar Seth's own house in Palpara was built at the same time, with similar Tuscan columns and facades.


Pandua Bari Mosque
Enlarge

Pandua Bari Mosque is a long, low building established in 1300 AD. This masjid is a specimen of the typical brick style of Bengal. The building has dimension of 7041 m by 12.8 m. It has three aisles, with 21 door openings in front and three on the side. The roof has 63 small domes over brick arches resting on stone pillars that are influenced by Hindu architecture. Furthermore, the mosque also has a canopied platform.


Rash Behari Research Institute
Enlarge

The Rash Behari Research Institute is a research institute located in Chandannagar (former French Colony in India) established in 1975, it includes, a library, a museum and a publishing house.The Rash Behari Basu Research Institute is dedicated to the study of Indian Freedom Movement, highlighting the role of India's Great Freedom Fighter Rash Behari Basu. The objectives of this Institute : (a) To collect and preserve all relevant intelligence, de-classified documents and manuscripts, photographs and films, records and other objects and materials - relating to the life of Rash Behari Basu (Bose of Nakamuraya).


Rathayatra of Mahesh, Serampore
Enlarge

The Rathayatra of Mahesh is the second oldest rathayatra in the world and the oldest and biggest in Bengal, having been celebrated since 1396. It is held in Mahesh, a historical locality within Serampore in West Bengal, India. It is a week-long festival and a grand fair is held at that time. People throng to have a share in pulling the long ropes (Rosshi) attached to the chariots of Lord Jagannath, Balarama and Subhadra on the journey from the temple to Serampore Mahesh Gundicha Bari and back.


Shanderswartala Temple
Enlarge

Shanderswartala Temple is the oldest temple in Chinsurah. It is about 5 km away from the Chinsurah railway station. The temple is situated on the bank of the river Ganges, north of the Dutta Ghat. The temple was established by Sidheswar Roychoudhury after the Lingam of Shiva was placed by Digambar Halder in the 16th Century. This Temple has a 'Dhak' made of brass, which was presented by the Dutch Governor of that time and is still used. There is also Durga Temple which was established in the year 1845.


Shri Ramakrishna Math
Enlarge

Shri Ramakrishna Math was founded by Swami Vivekananda. It is also known as the Belur Math. This place proudly stands on the western coast of Hooghly River and can be safely described as the most beautiful example of religious unity of India. The most attractive part of this place is its brilliant architecture which has sought inspiration from Hindu mythology and ancient Islamic traditions. This place fills you with deep spiritual thoughts and is certainly the most peaceful place in the entire town of Hooghly. Shri Ramakrishna Math is a major religious symbol of Bengal and is a must visit destination.


Suakhal and Moyur Mahal
Enlarge

There are two picnic spots at the side of Delhi Road nearest to the Bandel station. In both the places people can enter by giving a nominal entry fee. In addition to other facilities boating also can be enjoyed in both places. At Suakhal there is an interesting science exhibition like talking robot, danger cave etc.


Tarakeshwar Temple
Enlarge

Tarakeshwar Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and receives a huge number of local devotes on a regular basis. It is one of those places in Hooghly that remain densely packed with visitors throughout the year. The best time to visit this temple is the monsoon season as it hosts a grand fair for devotees during this period. Tarakeshwar temple has got a deep mythological value attached to it and it is believed that a visit to this temple in good faith can fulfil all your wishes.


Watch Tower
Enlarge

It is situated at the middle place of Chinsurah town. The four faces of which indicate the directions. In 1914 'British' emperor the Edward established this steel made hollow clock tower resembling a tomb. On the top of the tomb there is aflag hoisting point. In the four sides of which there are four beautiful lamp sheds. The clock is situated in the middle portion of the tomb.


Zafar Khan Ghazi Mosque
Enlarge

Zafar Khan Ghazi Mosque and Dargah situated at Tribeni in Hughli district, West Bengal, India, are considered to be among the earliest surviving Muslim monuments in Bengal. According to an inscription, the mosque is dated 698 AH (1298 AD). The mosque represents the multi-domed oblong type developed by the Muslims in Bengal in which the number of domes on the roof equals the number of entrances in the east wall multiplied by those on either sides. The north and south walls have two doors each. There are thus ten domes roofing the mosque. The interior of the structure is broken into two longitudinal aisles and five short bays by means of stone pillars, creating ten equal compartments. The brick-built domes rest on stone pillars and pointed arches with brick pendentives at the corners.


Other Places
  • Raghuvira Temple, Garh Mandaran, Dhani Kamarini Temple, Church of ST. Olaf, Church of Sacre Coeur De Jesu, Buddha Temple, Deulpara etc.
  • Radhanath Sikdar Himalayan Museum, Deer Park, Light House Tomb, Parbatichak, etc.

  • Europe Tour
    Featured Affiliate PartnerGoa Tour
    Planning For Vacations
    Tell Our Expert Your Travel Plan
    Get FREE Travel Options
    Enjoy Your Vacations
    Arrow Get Best Deals!